IGNORED

Good Helmet to Get

TomoHawk

If you wanted to do soime rallies, or some speed laps or whatever ( even highway safety?), what kind of helmet would you get? Open face? full face?

Maybe it would be good if somebody could post some general rules for helmet requirements & use.

thx

Full face is safer, and a SA rating (auto) is the best but I autocross with a S95 (motorcycle) rated openface helmet because it was $95 new and more comfy on hot days. Many of the SCCA racing types require an SA rated helmet so look into the specs of the racing you are doing before you buy a helmet that does not meet the requirements of the race. I do not know the rules for other racing but Autocrossing requires a S95 (S=SNELL rating system) (95 for 1995 specs) or better rating and it can be full or open face.

If you wanted to do soime rallies, or some speed laps or whatever ( even highway safety?), what kind of helmet would you get? Open face? full face?

Maybe it would be good if somebody could post some general rules for helmet requirements & use.

thx

Short answer: a NEW Snell SA-rated full-face helmet. That should cover you with any sanctioning body.

If you show up at an SCCA road race and present the tech inspectors with an M (motorcycle) rated helmet, they will confiscate it and won't give it back to you until you are headed out the gate!

I'd buy a new one because the Snell rating has a date on it that will eventually expire for SCCA use. Right now it has to be SA95 or later. Effective 1/1/07, Snell SA95's will no longer be permitted and SA2000 will be the minimum. So a new one will roughly be useable for ten years. And also a new one is assured to not have any damage.

I'd buy a full-face one because you could also use it for karting or open-wheel racers. Personally, I like my old open-face helmet even though you can argue it isn't as safe.

But most of all, read the rules for the type of event you are considering. The SCCA's rules are available free online.

Now if you're doing track days or whatever, again, check with them and read their rules. You might be able to get away with a used helmet and save yourself hundreds of dollars.

Final words of wisdom: Don't try to get too cheap. YOU NEED YOUR HEAD.

Since there's no a/c, I'll be going about 90 down the parkway, so I'll probably need a helmet for that. LOL

Somehow I get the feeling you need more than a helmet to protect us from you....... :stupid: Sorry, but you opened the door for that one.

hhm before helmet , you might think to add a roll bar , probably that and a good set of restraints is about all you will need for 90 mph , the use of a helmet on city roads is not a good ideal , you can't hear other signs of traffic as well as sirens. Depending on how tall you are it might be a tad in the way like hitting the headliner LOL.

No need to add a heavy rool bar, or some restraints that make it tough to get out. But your point about not being able to hear is good- I thought of that myself. Put your radio in the same category as a helmet, in that respect.

Beany-

If you can go 90 on the parkway around here then it -IS- a BIG DEAL. With stop signs every 1/4 or 1/2 mile, I can go faster than cars on a bicycle.