IGNORED

Glass head light covers?

cremmenga

Your first sentence is a perfect example of how an urban legend gets started. The "My friend has a set" line won't work here.

There are several of us on this site that own and have installed the OEM Datsun 240Z Headlight Covers with the Stainless Steel Trim Rings.

Mine came in a box marked with the part numbers stamped on the box that matches the microfiche available from the club here, the E-Parts Catalog, the FSM and just about every other reference that gives out the part number. I admit openly that I was so happy to get them that other than checking the part number on the very top of the box before ripping the box open, I didn't note whether a manufacturer's name was on the side. If I recall, I stored some parts in the box so I'll check.

But all that aside, they are plastic.

As far as making them out of glass...I think that would be begging for problems.

The headlights on both my Acura and my wife's Subaru are glass but at both of the dealer's part / service departments they heartily endorsed putting formed plastic headlight covers as protection from rock chips.

But, due to the rarity of the OEM covers, why not post the site where you found the GLASS ones. Heck, I'd buy a couple of them just for the stainless steel trim ring and form my own plexiglass.

(So let's see, what would that make the parts? They would purportedly be OEM, but having been modified from their original condition by replacing the glass with plexiglass to conform with the known authentic standard.... Would that then make them Non-Authentic Original OEM After-Market Reproduction Knock-Offs? Wonder what the judges would say.)

But all that aside, I'll finish this post with link to a picture:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=8950&sort=1&cat=500&page=2

Enrique

SHOW OFF LOL LOL

• 1 month later...

think about the headlight covers for 6 months or so before making a decision...they are actually tacky pretty much...had them on one of my cars, and put 2 holes in the buckets to mount....it was a big mistake (this was like 15 years ago on a 74.5 260z)....they sound like they're cool, but just wait and you'll change your mind...imo.

Just my .02 dollars.

Just a thought along this thread.... I am surprised at the near complete absence of "auxillary" lighting on Z cars (fog,driving,etc). Personally, I like the look of a nice set of Hella's, it gives any car a taste of "rally". I've thought about adding some to the new drive when it arrives, but I have seen so very few I am beginning to wonder why? I know the original alt. doesn't exactly pump out the juice at a prodigious rate, but surely it should be enough for a decent set of driving lights. No?

The 77 has headlight covers. I love 'em and I hate 'em. The car also has fog/driving lights mounted in the front aero kit. We have just upgraded the headlight bulbs to the "Cool Blues". Looks like the headlights on the new BMW's and Mercedes. That's a great mod for the Z, I think :love:

Vicky

Rick,

Zedheads have Zeds because they are a beautiful car in design; extra lights ruin that...that's why you don't see a lot of talk on here about it.

Most people, myself included, on this site like the way the Z looks in its original form. Most mods will get recommended to hybridz. Not extra lights, but in general this site is about real nice original looking zeds for the most part.

I'll accept that. Personally, I feel much the same way - I'm definitely what you'd call an "old school" kinda guy. That being said, I do like the look of driving lights (if done properly) as well as thier added functionality. Think '71 thru '73 Datsun Rally efforts! ;)

The trouble with kids these days is that they don't know the difference between glass and plastic. The correct optional headlight covers are plexiglass. These are the real deal - like EScanlon's - and everything else is aftermarket. Furthermore, I contend that the original design of what became known as the 240Z iintended for the use of these covers over the scoops such that the fender line completes the arch around the hood.

Now before you start throwing rotten oranges at me for being such a smart-arse, remember that I can still lift 120 pounds after drinking 18 beers which makes me king of Mt. DAT.

post-4148-14150795131086_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150795131327_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150795131518_thumb.jpg

""Furthermore, I contend that the original design of what became known as the 240Z iintended for the use of these covers over the scoops""

I still say imo that the Zed looks much better without these...on the G nose, yeah, I'd say they look pretty good...they just don't look right on a normal front end...even the chrome ring ones.

Most people, myself included, on this site like the way the Z looks in its original form. Most mods will get recommended to hybridz. Not extra lights, but in general this site is about real nice original looking zeds for the most part.

Then those of us with mods aren't accepted here :( ? I don't have a V-8 or a 350Z so I figured I belonged here :nervous:

Chris, I want to see you lift 120 pounds after drinking 18 beers. Just don't lift it near any of your Z cars ROFL

Vicky

You know what I mean Vicky...and there are always exceptions to the so called rules.... :classic:

Your posts are always welcome imo cause you have so much experience on these rigs! You have a beautiful car.

Have a Zed ful day!