IGNORED

Glass head light covers?

cremmenga

First they are made of plexi glass . They come in clear and smoked . They are not legal in every state . The ones you see with the chrome rim are no longer available . There has been reports that the lenses can distort the beam and effect efficency . I have no experience either way a do not have any , just passing on what I have read about them .

Gary-I would think you are right, but my answer was for fused silicate glass-you know I know about Plexi/Acrylic/Polycarbonate, etc!

If clear plastic is what you are after, MSA/VB and many others sell them.

The ones Gary(Beandip) is talking about are discussed here:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14343&highlight=jdm+headlight+covers

Will

the factory nissan headlight covers are made of glass my friend has a set at the house but never put them on, i can ask them how they fit. they are to valuable to put on and drive around since they are no longer available or atleast hard to find. i say the lexan covers are fine unless your a datsun purist, good luck looking finding a set

mikey

I don't believe the Factory Nissan headlight covers are made of glass!

I have a set, new old stock in the box and they are plastic!

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=12159&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

If you would like pictures of the box with the part numbers, I can accomodate you!

Carl,

I thought they sold the aftermarket covers as well-no catalog handy!

Will

the factory nissan headlight covers are made of glass my friend has a set at the house but never put them on.........the lexan covers are fine unless your a datsun purist....

Your first sentence is a perfect example of how an urban legend gets started. The "My friend has a set" line won't work here.

There are several of us on this site that own and have installed the OEM Datsun 240Z Headlight Covers with the Stainless Steel Trim Rings.

Mine came in a box marked with the part numbers stamped on the box that matches the microfiche available from the club here, the E-Parts Catalog, the FSM and just about every other reference that gives out the part number. I admit openly that I was so happy to get them that other than checking the part number on the very top of the box before ripping the box open, I didn't note whether a manufacturer's name was on the side. If I recall, I stored some parts in the box so I'll check.

But all that aside, they are plastic.

As far as making them out of glass...I think that would be begging for problems.

The headlights on both my Acura and my wife's Subaru are glass but at both of the dealer's part / service departments they heartily endorsed putting formed plastic headlight covers as protection from rock chips.

But, due to the rarity of the OEM covers, why not post the site where you found the GLASS ones. Heck, I'd buy a couple of them just for the stainless steel trim ring and form my own plexiglass.

(So let's see, what would that make the parts? They would purportedly be OEM, but having been modified from their original condition by replacing the glass with plexiglass to conform with the known authentic standard.... Would that then make them Non-Authentic Original OEM After-Market Reproduction Knock-Offs? Wonder what the judges would say.)

But all that aside, I'll finish this post with link to a picture:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=8950&sort=1&cat=500&page=2

Enrique