IGNORED

VIN Decoding

jszarecki

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this means it's the 218,079th left-hand-drive S30 produced (roughly)?

This would be the 218,079th LHD 2 seater HLS30 version produced, starting from the first LHD 240z to his 75' 280z. To be really specific, it would not include 260'z, 2/2, and the any RHD drive car regardless of market.

This would be the 218,079th LHD 2 seater HLS30 version produced, starting from the first LHD 240z to his 75' 280z. To be really specific, it would not include 260'z, 2/2, and the any RHD drive car regardless of market.

This also assumes that there were no gaps in VIN's used. Which IMO is a HUGE assumption.

I'm not picking on anyone here, I just used the above quote because it provides the most info.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this means it's the 218,079th left-hand-drive S30 produced (roughly)?

Very good explanation Ben! Yes, the 218,079th HLS30, Lachlan. Up to the 260Z, the serial numbers were 5 digits - ie. HLS30-00026. Hey! I want to point out that the production date is stamped on the door ID plate, no? Why are you guys talking about the VB reference? We have discussed that inaccurate document a bunch of times!

• 1 month later...
...Up to the 260Z, the serial numbers were 5 digits - ie. HLS30-00026....!

Hmmmm... after reading this, I wonder if I can chime in here. I am a newb here, although not a newb to the Z. I owned a 260Z over 20 years ago, car was stolen and trashed (a very sad story). I have recently made an offer to a guy for his "1973 240" after all these years. However, this issue of VIN#'s has gotten me a bit confused, if not worried.

the guy claims it's a 73, yet the VIN# reads HLS30-134739. If I read your comment correctly, if it is indeed a 1973 it would have only 5 digits. Is this correct? Is this car NOT a 1973? Externally it looks like a pre-260 (tailights).

I am taking a rather big gamble here as the car is out of state and I will be buying it basically sight unseen (I know, no comments please). I've had several conversations with the owner who seems to be an honest citizen, and has been very forthcoming with photos.

Hmmmm... after reading this, I wonder if I can chime in here. I am a newb here, although not a newb to the Z. I owned a 260Z over 20 years ago, car was stolen and trashed (a very sad story). I have recently made an offer to a guy for his "1973 240" after all these years. However, this issue of VIN#'s has gotten me a bit confused, if not worried.

the guy claims it's a 73, yet the VIN# reads HLS30-134739. If I read your comment correctly, if it is indeed a 1973 it would have only 5 digits. Is this correct? Is this car NOT a 1973? Externally it looks like a pre-260 (tailights).

I am taking a rather big gamble here as the car is out of state and I will be buying it basically sight unseen (I know, no comments please). I've had several conversations with the owner who seems to be an honest citizen, and has been very forthcoming with photos.

1973 model 240Z's in the USA (and maybe Canada) had 6 digits in the sequesntial numbering......starting at (HLS30)120000 or around that number.

1973 model 240Z's in the USA (and maybe Canada) had 6 digits in the sequesntial numbering......starting at (HLS30)120000 or around that number.

Thanks Carl. I was getting a bit nervous there. After going back and looking at the photos, everything about it say's 1973 (dash, tailight, etc.) Are there any distinguishing features to tell the 73 apart from the 70-72? I remember that the early 70-71's had a vent on the rear hatch, but other than that they appearred (IMO) virtually the same.

Are there any distinguishing features to tell the 73 apart from the 70-72? I remember that the early 70-71's had a vent on the rear hatch, but other than that they appearred (IMO) virtually the same.

From the outside the only visible difference is that the bumpers on a '73 stick out a little farther and have a black spacer between them and the body. Internally the big change in '73 was the "flat top" carburetors.

From the outside the only visible difference is that the bumpers on a '73 stick out a little farther and have a black spacer between them and the body. Internally the big change in '73 was the "flat top" carburetors.

the black spacer you are speaking of, is it the same as those that were on the early 74 260's? My old 260 had the small bumpers (early) and in front had a little "flap" that covered the tops of the bumpers in front. I thought those were 74 specific, no? I actually liked the look of them, I can only imagine they are scarce these days.