IGNORED

No bumpers?

The Wingnut

Here's the deal, and why I would not remove the bumpers (most important reason)

--I have had a couple of old people, while waiting in the postal drop line accidentally just 'touch' my rear bumper, not enough to really do any damage--but if I didn't have a bumper, I'd have some serious problems...it has happened enough where I do need to replace the rear bumper mounting brackets, but that's it...the bumper still looks at least 90% good (which is good enough for a daily driver)

I have also dinged a couple of people backing out of parking lots, and also bumped a couple of people with my front bumper (again, in that dang postal drop drive through line LOL) ...

I am telling you from a lot of experience, Keep those bumpers on if you are driving your rig a lot...if for a show or only drive on a Summer Sunday, then maybe...

Also, Carl is right, a big accident (15+ mph) is going to cause damage whether or not you have bumpers or not!

Have a Zed-ful day!!!!

Actually, in a 70-72 240Z, even a 5-mph bump will exceed the protection that the front bumper can offer. My bumper ended up in the shape of a "W" (and pushed back into the new grille), cracked both sugar scoops, and the first 4" of my brand new hood was bent down at 45 degree angle.

But it would have been far worse if the bumper wasn't there.

But it would have been far worse if the bumper wasn't there.

Holy crap, I'd been crying, hard to think about it being worse!!!

My event was a rear bumper bust, I think it did more damage because the bumper was there. Rear pannel, hatch, bumper, and both rear quarters where the bumper mounts on the sides ripped out as the sideds pulled away from the body as the bumper tried to straighten out....

Anyone experienced a hassle from law enforcement about not having bumpers? I'm thinking about pulling mine off. I saw a 240 running around today without them, and it really cleaned up the overall appearance, despite the car being an obvious work in progress.

I have a 71 240z that has no bumpers and i have only beenstopped once. i ended up mounting two pieces of flat iron stock about 1/4 thick to the back on each side. it sticks out about two inches. its looks kind of like > on the back. i painted them to match the car and they look great . its cheap and simple to make and really looks good . i made one for each side and they are about 14 inches long . i will try and find a pic i can send you .

• 9 months later...

I am telling you from a lot of experience, Keep those bumpers on if you are driving your rig a lot...if for a show or only drive on a Summer Sunday, then maybe...

Also, Carl is right, a big accident (15+ mph) is going to cause damage whether or not you have bumpers or not!

Have a Zed-ful day!!!!

Well, I not only have the bumper on the rear, but it's reinforced with a 1" black pipe and heavy mounting brackets, like I've posted about before.

Back on 9/11/2005, a Summer Sunday no-less, I was rear ended, (by a guy in a 90s Mazda Protege) and here are the results:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=104232

$4500 bucks damage. He was probably going 20mph or less when he hit (sliding on the pavement with tires locked).

As you can see, the bumper didn't catch all the impact. His bumper actually slid off mine and went below my bumper and crushed the rear panel and tank.

Put a bumper on it! JMO

well the Z rear bumpers are really low to the ground, they offer no protection against mean soccer moms. I was thinkin of keeping the bumper shocks there,cutting them back ( if possible) about 1/4 inch into the body and welding on a thick steel rod or plate and stiffen up the whole rear. Alot of cars nowadays hide there bumpers inside the car and are part of the structure. There are ways to get rid of the bumper and still keep that part safe, but look at in different terms, u can get hit in the side, corner, or above the rear bumper where no protection is at all, and unless u want to strap bumpers all around ur car there is no way to escape it. The idea that i and others here would like to do is just as effective as the bumper and wont total ur car when u accidently back into someone goin 5 mph. Anyways what im tryin to get at is a bumper can help with small stuff but theres no real way to escape damage from the masive vehicles on the road today.

Hey Pete-

I've been following al this stuff because I'm going to put on the GTO skin soon, and I always wondered if I can hide a bumper under the fiberglass or add a bar to the outside. As usual, the front of the GTO is long enough for put something in there, but it's low too...

My car was rear ended a year and a half ago, on the passenger's side corner, and the SUV that hit me hit the bumper first, but if the bumper wasn't there, my car would have totalled.

Since then, I've established that my "smooth" 280z bumpers (pre-1977) are the way to go. They don't have the nasty grooves in them, or the additional bracing on the front, or the bigger bumper ends, or that ugly painted metal spacer on the rear. I've learned to like them because they look pretty good for how well they work.