IGNORED

Steering rack "refreshening"

Sorry, I should have explained the photo.

If you look at the very bottom of the tie rod joint you can see the grease squeezing out between the black part and the metallic part.

I see. Still think I'd try pinching the nipple to ensure that it can open (couldn't hurt) but I have no other ideas.

Frankly, I've not seen a Tie-Rod built like that on any of the 3 Z's that I've owned. The bottom area has been "solid" in that area on the ones that I've seen.

Will, are your OEM ones like that? Was that a "Jeb" or "George" bush oyster? I couldn't tell. ROFL

Note that some parts of the steering rack are aluminum.

Just as a point of possible interest - you're right that the steering gear "box" is aluminum on the 240Z rack - I just went out and tested my 240 rack with a magnet (through the dirt on it) to make sure. The reason I was interested is that the 280Z rack that I am currently refreshing is not! The gear box on my '78 280Z rack has a cast iron-looking grain and a magnet will stick to it. So there's another Datsun change between 240's and 280's.