IGNORED

Original or turbo??

chickenwafer

Original or turbo?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Original or turbo?

• Stick with the L26!!
    • Go for the turbo!!

I've been driving myself crazy over the very same situation. I have put together a nice set of early 70-71 four screw SU's, a 260Z N36 manifold and a very early 240Z balance tube without all the extra connections (the original SUs were traded by some previous owner for a pair of Webber downdrafts, yuck). I want to get an F54 block and a P90 or fix up one of my old E31 heads (they've been shaved too much I think, tho). This would make a sort of original, but higher horsepower engine for my 71 Series 1 240Z (built 12/70) (its current motor isn't matching numbers and is pretty tired so its a natural for modification).

OR

I have a 1983 280ZX turbo (2+2) sitting in my backyard under cover. It is complete except for the turbocharger unit itself. I've talked with people about trading that whole car (exterior and interior need major work) for a NA L28 with the F54 block and finding a P90 and using my carbs. Barring a trade I guess I could keep the turbo motor, get some flat top pistons, sell the EFI and turbo stuff and use the P90A with the hydraulic? lifters.

OR

Get a T03-04 turbocharger and swapping the motor into my 240Z for a relatively cheap increase in horsepower in a very light car. I've gone back and forth on this for a couple years now. I hate to just leave the carbs on the shelf as it took me awhile to get the setup together and I don't want to part with it. This whole thing is making me nuts. I suppose it just makes more sense to put off engine questions to concentrate on getting the body back in shape, repair rust in floors, under battery, and in rear wheel arch and upgrade suspension, brakes, etc.

Of course it all costs money. Time to take a second job I guess.

Take it from someone half way through building an NA L28 Stroker that will prob make 280HP at the flywheel with SU's. Go TurbO!!!!!!!! I'm thinking Im gona finish this stroker see if i'm happy with it for a while and when i get beaten by some stupid WRX it's Turbo time as Arnie would say :). It's the best way to extract power from the old L-series.