IGNORED

Original or turbo??

chickenwafer

Original or turbo?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Original or turbo?

• Stick with the L26!!
    • Go for the turbo!!

I'm at a crossroads; I'm going to be rebuilding my stock L26 this coming summer and before I do I want to make sure it's the motor I want, ya know? I have thought heavily about dropping in a stroked ZX turbo straight 6 (stroked to 3.1 liters) with a high-performance, hi-boost turbo (such as a GReddy T-78, but I'll prob just go for a hybrid t3/t4 ball bearing turbine), a large FMIC, hi-flow fuel system, and all the other stuff needed. Of course, I would also get the 5-speed manual trans with the engine and beef it up accordingly (new clutch, flywheel, ect).

OR, I can rebuild my L26, toss those boat anchor SU carbs for some rebuilt to "Better than new" condition 70-72 SU's from ZTherapy, port and deck the head, MSA exhaust header, Twice pipes glasspack exhaust kit, new timing chain, Mallory distrubtion, and countless other performance stuff.

I'm guessing with a lot of machine work to the L26 I would squeeze about the same horsepower out of both, but it would be worlds easier on the turbo 6, plus I'll get another cog in the box :) . But the L26 route might be cheaper, and considering my engines runs OK (read: only okay, not good, not great, and not even close to stellar) there is not need tossing a perfectly OK engine, right? But I want this car to hang with those other ricey import so I can wipe the smiles off their faces when I blow past them. Of course, it would be nice to whopp on some Corvette's as well :) .

Well, I put a poll so post your comments and don't forget to vote!!

Thanks

Dave

A NA 2.6L will never match a turbo 3.1L if built to the same level.

Work out what you want to spend first, then research the cost of both options thouroughly. It's all a waste if you run out of money half way. The turbo willbe very expensive and the L26 won't be as reliable if you are trying for big HP numbers.

Sit down, work out what you want, make a plan and stick to it.

My thoughts would be that with either NA or turbo, at least start with a L28 block.

Good luck.

I would say, considering the cash it would take to what you describe in your first paragraph, which sounds like a pipe dream to me, why not make it a twin turbo, or an RB for that matter. All it takes is money. Practicality would side with the L26 but you'll never 'blow past the ricers' with that. I have no vote on this poll because none of this means anything to me. (perhaps the young bull-old bull theory?)

When it comes to Big HP turbo is always the best way to go and if done right its reliable as well, an N/A tuned engine will not match a turbo car and reliability is always a factor.

I would have to agree with Stephen. An RB swap would be good for both power and reliability if done properly.

All in all BIG HP means big money and lets not forget alot of time and patience.

Work out what your budget is and then tach on an extra 2G's to be on the safe side.

Thats my 2 cents, hope its been helpful.

Alex

I'm voting turbo also, but not a stroked 3.1L turbo.

Locate a good 280ZXT donor car. Should be able to find a running rust-bucket somewhere for cheap (around $1000). Pull the engine, ECU, and entire engine harness out of the donor. Put it in your car. Your done.

Now focus on turbo upgrades, boost controller, etc. Then go blow the doors off some little punk Acura.

Btw, to correctly build a NA 3.1L motor will take somewhere in the neighborhood of $3k-4k. Add a turbo and you're looking at more. Plus you'd still have locate the FI and electrics for it all on top of the motor cost. Now you're looking at $7k plus. A slightly modified 280ZXT will easily get you 300hp.

Or you could just swap in a supercharged SB 350!

I will never so a small block LOL!

I would love an RB swap, only RB engine are JDM and thus hard to get and expensive. I think I'll look for a 280zx-t and salvage the engine, ecu, wiring harness, gearbox, and possibly even the front brakes (if they're good).

Dave

On paper a 280ZXT donor car is a good idea for the engine, ecu, parts etc. You could probably get the car cheap enough as well. Also remember that the car has to be at least 22 years old and is not in the best of condition, you can't be certain that the engine is still tip top.

You could just do the swap and the engine might run fine for a while and then decide to take a huge dump on you. You should go the safer route.

Locate a donor car, pull the engine and have it rebuilt. It would be an added expense but if you're gonna put alot of money in your car you might as well do it right and get good value for you money.

No offence to Kmack.

PEACE,

Alex

well, since I am a mechanic I was going to rebuild it anyhow. I also plan on cranking up the boost once I get a better front-mounted intercooler installed, a compressor bypass valve and the other nessesities. I think I already have a donor lined up, only the owner isn't too keen on his car being an organ donor.

Dave

I think I already have a donor lined up, only the owner isn't too keen on his car being an organ donor.

If it will seal the deal, just tell him you plan to fix it up. Once it's bought, who cares what he thinks!

My father-n-law bought a Porsche 944 that was immaculate. Premium price to, but an otherwise well maintained and solid car. PO passed on selling it to an 18 year old kid becuase he thought the kid would wreck it or run it into the ground. We didn't have the heart to tell him the car was being bought soley to go racing! :)