IGNORED

looking for the owner of this car

dat240z71

not to start any disagreements here but the car reminds me very much of a ford color called Calypso Coral. Its a very bright orange but had a very nice deep tone. My friend had his 70 Mach 1 painted that color it it was breathtaking , especially in the sun. Just my 2 cents

Having owned a that I had painted 918 Orange (not that color from the factory, but I had friends who did) I believe that it does look like that color. Now I did not say the original paint. but as I stated earlier it looked to be a repainted car, and probably not the original type of paint. Pictures can be deceiving due to variations in batches of paint, oxidation, wax or shine products on each car, of lighting, camera, and color rendering on a monitor (and I may be proven wrong, also).

Hopefully you'll find the owner and we'll know for sure.

Hi Guys:

I don't know how "Official" this is..

From the May 1970, Factory Service Bulletin - Volume 125,

"Introduction Of Datsun 240Z Sports"

The Official Names For the Colors Are As Follows:

901 Silver gray (metallic)

903 Universal Blue (metallic)

904 Kilimanjaro white

905 Monte Carlo red

907 Racing green

918 New sight orange

919 Sunshine yellow

920 Safari gold

Keep in mind that prior to the Z - Datsun was running 510's in the East African Safari Rally etc.

Most of the Factory Service Bulletins after 71 dropped the color names.. and refer to them only as 918 orange, 920 gold etc...

FWIW,

Carl

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

Ok Bamibkiller and others yes I know the car I posted was a repaint but that car look more like the 918 factory orange than the car I am now in search of. Now heres a pic of a 918 factory paint (original car) althought the paint is faded it looks (to me anway) more like the 2nd car I posted to show what this color should look like.25.jpg If you would like to see a few more pic. of this car click on the link in on the bottom of the page (my z cars )and go to the turbo 240z page.

I have some E-mail out to clubs in Cali. hopefully someone can help clear this.

Hi Guys:

I don't know how "Official" this is..

From the May 1970, Factory Service Bulletin - Volume 125,

"Introduction Of Datsun 240Z Sports"

(major snip by Carl S.)

Well, I'd say it was pretty official.

I have a FSB introducing the 1972 240Z that I didn't think to check today. I wonder what it says? I'll have to check on it tomorrow.

No matter what the result of the check up on the car at Blackhawk, it's a nice color IMO.

5753IM003945-med.JPG

dale2.jpg

As you guys can see the 918 orange in is not the same paint on this car

if you take a look at this very original 240z with with original 918 paint which won 2 awards at the same car show, i think you would find it to look way more like the paint code you are looking for than of the car in the smaller picture. 6120Blackhawk_1st_in_show-med.jpg

Like I said my cars are both 110 persimmon red. I have looked a photos of cars for sale, on ebay and other sites, the photos look like the 110 but when I inquire they are the 918 orange. In person the colors are not even close to the same. Photos can be so affected by light etc... I do admit that the car looks much "more orange" than the color chip for 918. You will have to talk to the owner to see if he did a full color change. There is also the possibility that the this is a two part paint job. The clear coat will give depth to the paint and slightly change the color. The primer base can make a differance as well. Then there is the possibility that the owner added a pearl or other additive to the paint. Let us know what you find out. It sounds like others on this site were at this show and you might be able to find the owner. Good Luck! :ermm:

My car is 918, and going through all the pictures I have there is a pretty remarkable difference on how the color looks depending on lighting, cleanliness, wax/acrylic condition, and camera settings.

For instance, here it is in various settings.

post-3312-14150794712353_thumb.jpg

post-3312-14150794712823_thumb.jpg

post-3312-14150794713299_thumb.jpg

post-3312-14150794713725_thumb.jpg

post-3312-14150794714138_thumb.jpg

My point is, I think that is indeed 918 orange. For one thing, the background elements in the photo linked in the original post are slightly too bright compared to the car. The same thing happens if you take a regular photo of your car in the sun and mess around with the sliders in photoshop to brighten and intensify the color of the car.

I'm not saying this was the case with whoever posted the photo, but who knows what their camera equipment was and how it was setup?

To show some extrema of situations a few different camera settings could have even on the same picture, here is the same picture with some of the basic visual properties slightly altered to emulate a differing camera setup.

post-3312-14150794714671_thumb.jpg

post-3312-14150794714928_thumb.jpg

My '73 was originally a #918 orange car. When I repainted the car I chose an orange that was a bit lighter than original. I'm guessing Mexican Orange must be an aftermarket paint name, as that is what the local paint shop called #918. I used PPG's Omni Acrylic Urethane, and employed a basecoat/clearcoat paint job. The invoice lists it as OMN-MBCB/04, but doesn't specify the color...sorry, but I couldn't find anything that describes the paint mixture.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics of my car, looks more red in the pictures than it does in person. These photos were taken in the garage with a flash. I looked at some of the pictures in my gallery, and there is quite a bit of difference in how the color looks, depending on whether the picture was taken with or without flash, indoors, outdoors, up close, far away, etc...

BTW, the decals on the underside of my hood are the originals. I attempted to remove them before repainting the hood, but I feared that I would destroy them if I did. So, I simply masked them off with tape before spraying the paint.

Kenny P.

post-6323-14150794716977_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150794717532_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150794717963_thumb.jpg