IGNORED

Common v8z problems?

HarrisonTX

I'm still stuck on the Chevy 302, I thought Ford made the 302 and Chevy made the 305? Just pondering. Why not go with the 350? They're more common, more parts, better horse power, Etc, etc.

Just my 2cents

Dave

Chevy had a 302. It was basically a 327 with a 283 crank....made for a higher reving engine. Was used in the TransAm series back in the 70s. It also came stock in the early Z28s.

So is it a "common" motor that has easy to find parts? Or is it a motor that may be a pain in the a$$ when you need parts?

Not a big chevy fan but I've considered doing a Z with the 350 in it. Especially after seeing the darius240Z site http://servinitup.com/videos/240z.mpeg

All of the SBC motors have the same outside demensions (265, 283, 302, 305, 327, 350, 400)....the 350 is likely the most common now days.

Done lots. everyone who's done one does it differently.some kits install

better than others.I use a kit of my own design.it works ok for me.finding a kit that lowers and moves the engine back is what you want.my kit gives you

about a 49/51 weight distribution.or at least pretty close.exhaust is not easy to solve, mostly due emission laws etc.money,time and space are also not

easy.there is so much stuff out for these. parts are all easy to by.cooling the beast [depending on ponies]is a major concern.Trans will need to be fitted to trans tunneldrive shaft will be custom. Like I said ealier all these parts are out there.USEING THE RIGHT PARTS ONLY COMES FROM EXPERIENCE.

sounds like fun to me :devious: JZM

• 1 year later...
So is it a "common" motor that has easy to find parts? Or is it a motor that may be a pain in the a$$ when you need parts?

Not a big chevy fan but I've considered doing a Z with the 350 in it. Especially after seeing the darius240Z site http://servinitup.com/videos/240z.mpeg

The DZ 302 is very rare and expensive. The last time I saw on they wanted over $2k for the bare block!

So, Im pretty serious about buying a 280z, and crammin in a 302 chevy. Im about to buy a rollin chassis, but i got to thinking about how cramped it is.

What are some common problems that v8z's have?

Is it hard to change plugs, oil filter, and so on.

How bout exhaust, i was lookin under a 280, and theres hardly any room.

What should i expect?

I have a 283 in my z-no problem with room-looks like i have so much room i could put a big block chevy in it!

Buy the JTR book!! Very informative and gives you 90% of the info you need.

So far as problems, high hp motors wreck the u-joints but the diffs seem to stay together very well, if you try to cut corners on the cooling system you will probably have problems, and remember to keep the weight of the engine down (as much aluminum as possible) to keep the weight distribution/handling as close to stock as possible. Good Luck!

My 100th post!!!!! =)