IGNORED

Yet another tire/wheel question

Brandy

Hi all - After having PepBoys mangle my fireglass airdam, and then backing off on replacing it (it wasn't new), I'm debating getting another airdam in the future but will be recovering the front with the lower valence. At the time I was crawling under the front end, I realized that the beautiful almost new tires (Road Hugger[?]) are 13"s, which is another reason why the car sits pretty low.

The rims are supposedly (the PO has almost zero credibility at this time so everything he has so far told me is suspect - with reason), dealer-installed optioned, and I like them (you can view them at my cardomain site), so I might keep them.

However, I'd like to replace these tires with either 14s or 15s (if possible), and done as painless as possible (no cutting or adding of other equipment). At this time I'm clueless as to what would fit and what would look nice. Any pointers would be appreciated.

You can find 14" or 15" wheels for a 240Z, but not very many different styles are available since most modern cars are Front Wheel drive and require a much different offset (wheel construction) than rear wheel drive cars like Z's. Prices will be fairly high for most wheels also. Figure between $400 and $1500 for most wheels. You can spend more.

As for what would look nice, well that is very subjective. Look through our Gallery and you'll get an idea. Also check Motorsport Auto's website. They sell several wheels for Z's www.zcarparts.com

Wow, you're quick - and loaded with info - thanks, Carl. :cheeky:

I'm going to stay with the rims for the time being (I love th erims listed in the MSA catalog, but I'd have to sell bodyparts to afford a set right now), but since I know next to nothing about tire size and width, I'm still at a loss as to what size(s) of tires I can fit on the car. Considering the constantly-growing list of things to check for with this car, I'd like to put new tires on it, at the same time get the brakes checked out (again, supposedly new, but they squeal like a fatally stuck pig), and a wheel alignment.

I live in southmost TX where good mechanics who can work on cars older than 5 years are rare, so I may have to settle for a company like Firestone (who did, to their credit, double-check to see if they can do an alignment, unlike PepBoys, which I hate with a passion).

I just can't figure the difference in reading a tire size, like 175/80/14 versus 180/65/14, and so forth. I just want to be sure I have all the information I need before I set foot again in another car shop. I'm going to measure the rim width when I get home, and according to other posters on this site, it might be either a 4.5 or 5, so that's a start.

You can also learn a lot about tires and wheel at www.tirerack.com

On their home page look for "Shopping Tools" at Right side of Page header. Hover your mouse over it and a drop down menu should appear. Select "Tech Center" at the bottom of the drop down. That will take you to a page with links to lots of information. It may seem overwhelming, but just look around and you should be able to find the information you want. If not, ask here and someone will be able to help you.

Hey Brandy,

You mention- get the brakes checked out (again, supposedly new, but they squeal like a fatally stuck pig). When you look over your front brakes, check to see if there is a thin metal shim between the pads and the caliper pistons that squeeze your brake pads. Ofter over the years people leave them out or forget to re-install them when they do a brake job. These shims and some brake grease will stop the squeal that Zs are known for. I had the same problem and sure enough once replaced the squeal was gone. Your brakes may be fine and just need a set of shims?

The shims are also found at MSA for about $19 to $20.00 for Right & Left set together. I purchased a set last month. There are acouple other items in the kit like the pins that the pads hang from that should be installed too, nice to freshen them up too. Old ones get worn & rusty not letting the pads slide or return after brakes are applied.

Good Luck.

Craig

ooh, boy, more things to check out. Actually, we (hubby and I) will most likely pull the tires off one by one BEFORE we bring it to a shop (yet another one) to have new tires put on, or at the least to get the alignment and brakes checked.

And this page will be printed out and all requirements followed to the hilt.

Thanks.

But I still don't know how to pick the right size/width tires.....?

Width of wheel (and offset of wheel) , and height of tire sidewall will determine min. and max. width of tire that will fit inside the fenders.

On a 14" tall wheel the tires sizes that I have used are 195/70 X 14, or 205/60 X 14. They were mounted on 5" to 7" wide wheels.

I have no experience with 13" wheels on a Z.

Width of wheel (and offset of wheel) , and height of tire sidewall will determine min. and max. width of tire that will fit inside the fenders.

On a 14" tall wheel the tires sizes that I have used are 195/70 X 14, or 205/60 X 14. They were mounted on 5" to 7" wide wheels.

I have no experience with 13" wheels on a Z.

As far as I can tell, 13"s weren't supposed to be on the car (PO was a cheapo). I'm going to see if I can sell the tires locally (tons of Ford Fiestas around here), and get a new set of tires - thanks, the 'complete' size was what I needed!