IGNORED

Opinion From The Experts

lexguy

I'm lookin' to buy a 240 in So Cal. I found a 73 with mild body rot (hatch- below the window and doglegs / minor spot on drivers pan -not rail) Bumpers need to be straightened, turn sigs, tach and fuel gauges don't work, has engine oil leaks and is missing rear trim panels and misc interior stuff. The upside is the car is a "one family" car, carbs were replaced with the early SU's and the odo shows XX48,000 miles. Runs like it has low miles, as the engine pulls strong, tranny is tight and no noises from the suspension. Repainted about 5 years ago (fairly decent - but a different color). The owner wants 3k. Is this a reasonable amount? By the time I get done, cleaning up the interior, fixing and repainting and resealing the engine,I figure I'll have at least another 3k into it.

Do you think 3k is a fair price?

Thanks in advance

Sounds like a $1000 to $1500 car-too many things need work now to be a $3k car, "Bumpers need to be straightened, turn sigs, tach and fuel gauges don't work, has engine oil leaks and is missing rear trim panels and misc interior stuff."

For 3k, the electrics should be working(maybe not the clock)and the interior should be complete. Remember, what some one wants for a car they don't is only the same as what they will take for a short time-unless the car is a jewel-and I don't mean in the rough!

I would also check the oil-probably been replaced with a thicker grade to slow the leak, but that would also help compression, and limit oil burning. Run you finger inside the tail pipe, goo means oil burner, also shine a flash light into the oil filler, see what the journals look like-clean or fuzzy?

Depending on how much you will do your self, and your standards, you will probably ad between 4k and 6K to the car-there is always something lurking under old paint, and old leaky gaskets!

Will

Thanks all for the responses, kinda confirmed my suspecions. It's harder than heck to find a decent priced 240 "fixer" or a clean daily driver in so cal.

Moderators can you close this thread? I reposted in the 240 discussions.

Thanks

Given that this topic has been started mistakenly, im interested to know whether any of you boys have seen or heard of a c110 in the US? Are any of you interested in buying one at all?

Over at Skylinesdownunder, in the USA section there is a thread on older Skylines. "KenMary73" speaks of a few C110's 'stateside. He's in San Diego.

Jim.

*rubs hands together* time to make some money you think? Selling 240K's to American's :D hehehe..

Like there are any left to sell in Australia and NZ anyway?

I wonder how many are left? Unlike the 240z the 240K coupe probably got sent off to the wreckers or the crusher towards the end of its life, instead of (like the 240z) being seen as something to restore, and saved by someone who intended to restore it.

If someone could patiently explain to me what a 240K is, I'd appreciate it.

Here's two versions. Coupe and sedan.

The two door is a JDM version, named Skyline. Datsun 240K was an export model tag. Amazing the difference a set of Watanabes make!

Jim.

post-6441-14150794509054_thumb.jpg

post-6441-14150794509389_thumb.jpg

post-6441-14150794509646_thumb.jpg

post-6441-14150794509898_thumb.jpg