IGNORED

Rear end.. could someone help?

71Datsun240zMN

Another alternative is to instal the complete rear end from a Skyline, Z32 or Silvia. By 'complete' I mean the subframe with all the rear transmission, diff to hubs. You may want to consider changing the front hubs to five stud to match the rears at the same time.

This has other advantages too, bigger rear brakes and readily available aftermarket suspension goodies. This sort of conversion has been done before and is not that difficult, comparatively.

v8 folk favor 3.54 gearing because it provides a good combination between ample acceleration and freeway cruising at low RPM. If you want best off the line launches, limited slip 3.7 is something you want to look into. gearing is gearing, so if 4.10 gears work on a camaro, they'll work on a Z in same ratio :)

Have NISMO LSD 3.9 for mine - car will not be finished for another 12 months because most parts ie engine, box, suspension, wheels, brakes, seats etc etc etc are brand new and I am not made of money :-)

I am now wondering whether the gearing will be too low ? I will be using and Edelbrock Performer crate engine that revs to 6000, a Borg Warner T56 six speed and 17x9 or 91/2 wheels with 40 or 45 profile tyres.

Can anybody shed any light on what I can expect in terms of performance ? 420BHP, 418ftlbs torque . Any idea on whether it will grip or just spin wildly ?

For not much more money I can have a stroker kit to 7 litres which will give 500BHP and 500ftlbs torque approx.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and really helpful.

Thanks

500HP is heaps in a 240z you'll break 11's or 10's with that I'd say. In terms of grip it's relative to your tyres and how good they are how wide they are. I'm not an expert when it comes to these power numbers personally it's a bit of overkill for me but then again you can never have enough power.

I'd say 3.9 would be ok wouldn't wanna go 4.1. Will also depend on gearbox ratio's i know nothing on the borg warner 6 speed.

There is a guy Stony on here i think his name is with an Rb26 he's running 11's i think he might be the guy to talk to.

Gavin