IGNORED

13b rotary on a Datsun 240z

Cels240

BAD BAD BAD BAD!!! Don't do it don't do it. You be going around putting Mazda parts in a Z!! Come on lets not be playing for both teams here!!:D

Seriously though I would certainly be looking at this with a bit more thought. For the same amount on money you could put an RB20DET in it. Now threres an engine!! More power than the crappy rotary and much more durability. If you have any mates with rotas then you would probably know the problems they cause there owners. Yes if done properly it might be be kind of ok but theres just no comparision between a six and a rota anyway thats my view hope you take my advise, you won't regret it

Timmy,

If you could tell me where in the USA I could get a RB20DET for the same amount on a Mazda 13b engine for only $400.00 and all you have to do is to port to gain massive HP.. I would certainly do it in a heartbeat.

Please let me know…mate...

Cel

PS

Just by porting alone on a normal aspirated 13b, you can gain beyond 300+ hp...plus considering the weight ratio on the 13b

Wouldn't have a clue about RB20DET engines in America being in Australia and all but over here they are very fairly priced (probably cause were so close to Japan). No doubt you can 300hp out of a naturally aspirated 13b but you will have an engine with a short life span and hardly any torque! If you can find an RB20DET for a decent price then it would be they way to go and the housepower capabilities are huge only slightly more than the rota but high hp rotas don't like idling or driving normally, you either have to be going full throttle or not at all, you might want that but if its for road use you might get into trouble. Fact is you will never get any where near as much life and durability out of a 13b as you would out of the Nissan engine, keep that in mind.

Tim,

Seems like you have something against a competitor engine...no problem. I admit, Nissan engines are way better but I really would like to get a rota on a Z this year...something different. I've seen many V6, V8, L6 engine swaps...Ford, Chevy etc. Why not a Rotary??? nothing last forever...but if you have the knowledge and the supply, sky is the limit.

Cel LOL

Originally posted by Cels240

Tim,

Seems like you have something against a competitor engine...no problem. I admit, Nissan engines are way better but I really would like to get a rota on a Z this year...something different. I've seen many V6, V8, L6 engine swaps...Ford, Chevy etc. Why not a Rotary??? nothing last forever...but if you have the knowledge and the supply, sky is the limit.

Cel LOL

Yeah i am quite biased towards Nissan but hey good luck to ya, hope the conversion goes well. Drop me a line when its in cause i'd love to know how you went about it.

Happy converting!!!

Tim

It has been done, it was posted on the Z car garage website, not exactly sure in which section ( performance tips? )

A Z Guru put one in the car and apparently took it autocrossing and took a few turns on 2 wheels.

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Im glad I found this thread :D

I'm also considering doing a rotary swap for a nice project car. Cels, you may have some friendly local California competition ;)

Ive read about the rotary 510's...and have yet to see a rotary 240Z.

I put a brand new street ported engine in my FD when it blew...I have the extra sitting in my garage just gathering dust. It's the 13B-REW and I have an extra set of stock twin turbos, fuel delivery, upper + lower intake manifolds, throttle body, ecu, wiring harness, accesorries...etc etc. Basically I just need to buy a new set of apex seals and 1 rotor housing, and some minor porting and milling to have a nice new strong 300fhp engine.

Somehow some of you guys can fit LT1's inside the Z's...so i'm figuring a nice lightweight 13B-REW should be able to fit. Ideally, i'd like to think the engine can be mounted centrally for an optimum weight balance...but since i'm not too well read on Z's I really have no idea if any of this would be realistic if I were hoping to keep a minimal budget. My RX7 already eats up enough money as it is :D

If someone could please direct me to a 240 Z FAQ page with weight distr. info, engine compartment space, or any swap type of page, it would be greatly apreciated!

I'm already eyeing a few shells, but I really need to get more research done on the car before I go ahead with this project. If not, I'm putting the engine in an '86 Corolla GT-S hatchback ;)

Cheers

Mike

-1993 Mazda RX7 R1

-new street ported 13B-REW

-3mm apex seals

-A'pexi GT spec catback with 3.75" piping

-A'pexi Power Intake

-A'pexi Power FC ECU

-3" downpipe

-ACT S/S Clutch

-very loud