IGNORED

This Z was stored in a chicken coop since 1987

I placed a AD on craigs list last week for a wanted 240Z body that was in clean shape.I got a few calls here and there.Yesterday morning a woman called me to tell me about her 73 240Z she has.She said that she stored her 240Z since 1987 in her parents chicken coop and now she is selling there home and has to get rid of the car.She explained that she is the original owner,never had a accident and car was out of the weather for 14 1/3 years so it should be in good condition for me.So I decided to go on this 3 hour tour to her farm is Petaluma,CA. The coop that that car was in was in such bad shape that there was holes in the floor from rot.I cant believe the car didn't fall through it.This 73 240Z is not perfect but it the cleanest original 240Z's I have seen.There is no rust in the usual spots like the quarters and fenders.The engine compartment is extremely clean.The floor boards are as if the car was built a couple years ago,not even surface rust.The interior is a pretty nasty color but in clean condition.She told me she never beat on the car and was never a fast driver.She also said this car hasnt seen daylight in 14 years so I hate to do this to such a clean Z but I'm going to gut this car and drop my 01 LS1 T56 in it.When I was trying to move it,I tried to jack it up and my jack went through the floor!I was so nervous that this car was going to fall through when I started to move it the floor started crackling and making serious noise but got lucky.Take a look at the pictures.Tell me what you think

normal_new%20Pictures%20209%7E0.jpg

normal_new%20Pictures%20213.jpg

normal_new%20Pictures%20211.jpg

normal_DSC01060.JPG

Great potential in that car...for an original restoration. Please find a crappy non-original car to do your V8 swap.... or at least photograph this one extensively inside and out before you butcher it.

As a matter of interest, does it have a tan or black interior?

A car like that is such a great find, and for $500 ! ! You might be better off cleaning it up a bit and reselling it at a great profit, then finding a car to do your LS1 swap into. A numbers matching Z in reasonable condition would surely fetch you far more than $500 and you'd be preserving a really good car. IMO, doing major modifications to this one wouldn't be in your best interest. Sell it, and take the profits and buy another one AND a pile of parts for your project.

BTW, (as you probably know) the "later, thicker shell" doesn't really matter as with an LS1 transplant you are going to have to do a lot of reinforcing to handle that power anyway.

As was mentioned before. Your car do with it as you please. A V-8 swap would definately push your eyes back into your head. But as also mentioned; a numbers matching unmolested original in good condition will fetch a pretty penny. If the interior is in as good a shape as the exterior you wouldn't have any problem making a huge profit. I've seen low mileage originals go for $15,000+. You could take that money and get a 240 that has a v-8 already in it. Save you from a lot of work.

$.02

Reminds me of my first 240z a 73 sob I miss that car it was so original. There's something so nice about an original car. It's not butchered and it suits it's ERA people really adore a classic car. If you V8 it then it becomes just another V8-Z as the others said. Everyone says it's your car do what you want but sometimes what you want now you don't want later if you know what I'm getting at? I used to want a highly modded Z when I was a bit younger now I'm a little older my tastes have changed.

Therefore do what you like as long as you can return it someday to original condition if you choose to.