IGNORED

toyota engine compatability

scrote

That's good advice, you should follow it.

If you don't want people's HONEST opinions... don't ask.

Now hold on just a minute,I believe I offered my help in this matter.than everbody started on about nissan this and toyota that,I'm for any engine that you might want to use,[with the exception of using the 70 Z as a doner,only because it's getting rare]and no I'm not taking things to seriously.

note the slight humer here and there ROFL , sounds to me that people should reread this entire thread.and I never said I didn't like anything about this whole idea,thats why I'm still here.as far as stating my opinion about something I don't like I'm still trying to find what it is that you think I should follow my own advice on,[with the exception of not helping the original person who asked for help.]

p.s. Z cars are what I do for a living,If anyone asked for my advice or help I would never turn them down.

JZM

Brand loyalty aside, if I was to use a V8 I would use the largest capacity V8 that would fit, when the VH45DE and 1UZ are the same price at a wreckers, basically the same size and the same basic difficulty to fit, I would go for the extra 0.5 displacement.

If you were going for a straight six I would and have gone for a hybrid RB30DET, that or a RB26DETT. The reason being availability of parts as well as the great interchangeability between nissan equipment. I have the head from and RB25DE, block from an RB30E and gearbox from an RB25DET with tailshaft and R200 LSD from a DR30 skyline. All bolt together with no fuss however the tailsjaft may be a little long for the Z.

A six speed box behind the Supra motor would be cool also, but it would be a lot more work/expense I would say.

I'm still trying to find what it is that you think I should follow my own advice on.

JZM

Not to carry this foolishness on any further but to answer a man's question...

...if you don't like something state your opinion and leave things alone...

Now to really stir the pot... If I was going to slaughter a perfectly good Z, I would drop in a (dare I say it?) Ford (gulp :finger: ) 302. My friends 93 Mustang LX 5.0 puts 350 to the ground and under full acceleration you are slammed back and held in the seat. I have seen one in a Z and was told by the owner that the engine weighs the same or less than the L motors and places the weight distribution just a bit more to the rear than stock which made for a better handling Z. They are cheap and there is an endless supply of aftermarket support for them. Any comments?

Respectfully,

Nate :pirate:

Not to carry this foolishness on any further but to answer a man's question...

Now to really stir the pot... If I was going to slaughter a perfectly good Z, I would drop in a (dare I say it?) Ford (gulp :finger: ) 302. My friends 93 Mustang LX 5.0 puts 350 to the ground and under full acceleration you are slammed back and held in the seat. I have seen one in a Z and was told by the owner that the engine weighs the same or less than the L motors and places the weight distribution just a bit more to the rear than stock which made for a better handling Z. They are cheap and there is an endless supply of aftermarket support for them. Any comments?

Respectfully,

Nate :pirate:

As a matter of fact..yes I do have some comments,1st-no more foolishness,

2nd-I still didn't say I didn't like something-lets drop it and move on........

Now about the ford 5.0.....I think it's a good choice,it is about the same weight[with aluminum heads it will be even lighter yet] and it will make your Z handle much better.[i've done a couple]which includes one of my older Zs that I used to own.I chose a 5.0 mostly due to the fact that it was free from a car I used to own[an 88 saleen #28]which was totaled be my ex-wife about 14 years ago.I just loved the sound of a properly built small block ford.[before Zs there was the mustangs] chevy small blocks are a lot cheaper to build though,almost 2 to 1 over ford.[2-350s for the price of one 302 or the like]

I still have the conversion kit.[custom fab by -Johnny Z motorsports]

JZM

I've got a 92' mustang 302 in my Rx-7 with a 5spd and it is rocket, code named DEATH.

My cousin and I did the conversion in early 2000. With the right exhaust a 302 sound awsome. She's running pretty much stock, all she has is a huge K@N, good exhaust and a hurst short shifter. Traction is an issue, with slicks she runs very high 12's. Beleive it or not. The engine is fuel injected and I'm running two ecu's.

All in all it was a fairly inexpensive conversion, granted we did about 90% of the work ourselves.

All this talk of nissan and toyota engines I kinda forgot about ford, not as reliable but still a hoot. Something else to consider.

An early Z weighs even less than an Rx-7. A V8 will kick it up a couple a notches.

Just my 2 cents

Alex

• 8 months later...

scrote,

This is my 2jzge/5spd conversion into my 260z - in my opinion its a really easy conversion, because you can get the 2jz or 1jz for that matter in a rear sump configuration i think this makes it a better alternative than the RB engines,

Also the price,

1jzgte engine package is about $1500AUD from the wreckers/importers,

2jz NA is about $1200AUD,

2jzgte is anywhere from $4500 to $6000, but this engine is awesome, but then you gotta fit that 6spd Getrag, but i dont think it would be any harder than putting in the RB25DET 5spd, they are both massive f#ckers!!!

Anyways, check out my pics,

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=3205&cat=500&page=1

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=3211&cat=500&page=1

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=3206&cat=500&page=1

• 2 months later...

Nice swap Aussie260z, I really wanted a lot of power for cheep, heres my 7mgte swap Im probably making more than 450 RWHP with a price of $750 for motor and tranny, since I saved so much on the motor and tranny I broke the bank on everything else. Sure I would love the 2JZGTE but not the 3K-6K price tag for motor and tranny alone.

front iso

cimg35218bm.jpg

Turbo no IC tubes

cimg3219resize18pa.jpg

O2 sensor welding

cimg33619jr.jpg

plan view complete motor

cimg35143tp.jpg

rear suspension no strut

cimg33920dl.jpg

Rear brakes installed

cimg34164kh.jpg