IGNORED

shaved door kit

240zguy

What they did was to remove the recess for the door handle(it wasn't needed anymore) and cut and weld in a plate to fill the resulting hole, making the door skin complete and uniform, There is bno reason to remove the door skin, all of the mechanism is inside once the handle and keylock are removed.

Will

• 2 months later...

well, doors are shaved. smoothed over ... was gonna surprise everyone with pix of slightly customized z, with a beautiful paint job ... friend of friend with body shop ... pay for material ... work on my z when nothing else going on ...

bought the door kits, body shop shaved door handles ... trial fit the kit ... all looks well. silent partner in body shop, sold interest to family friend of body shop owner. new owner says, unless i want to pay 70/hr ... i have no money ... my z has been evicted from body shop ... i get to figure out how to mount kits ... but, hard part is done ... doors are shaved and body work on doors complete ... more info to follow ... eventually ... LOL

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hmmm, z is back in my driveway, having been evicted by the new owner of the body shop ... a friend was using his friend's shop ... doing the work on my car. silent partners sold the shop. he's running a custom motorcycle shop now.

my 50 % finished z is now a driveway queen.

regarding the door kits .. ...

mine is from summit ... has remote control and alarm ... the mechanics of it are simple ...

the solenoid comes mounted on a plate ... has 4 holes for mounting ... or using that automotive body glue stick it to the inside of the bottom of the door. connect the solenoid to the rod that opens the door.

with the exception of covering the holes/indent where the handles were, the installation appears to be quite easy ...

the one thing i did notice today, that i had not seen earlier ...

i was wondering what that spring was for, on the rod coming over to the interior door handle ... found out today ... the door kept popping open ...

as i see it ...

the interior handle pulls that rod towards the front of the door, releasing the wheel/latch on the door, wheel rolls, door opens.

when closing the door, there is a knob ( tab ) on the wheel that bumps into the striker on the body, causes the wheel to roll, another knob latches in place.

inside the door ... where the rod is pulled, it releases that wheel, when the rod moves back, i'm guessing, there is a pin that blocks the wheel from turning ...

if the rod doesn't move back towards the rear of the car ... pin will not block the wheel ... wheel rolls and the door will not stay closed ...

that spring on the rod ... well, i'm guessing that it is insurance that the rod moves towards the rear of the car, when the interior door handle is released.

so, now ... i have to figure out how to get that spring to spring, that way the door will stay shut ...