Engine Weight? - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Engine Weight?

Featured Replies

I recently got a steal on a 78 280z to restore ($100.00) it runs has some nasty body damage and other damage but I am in process of purchasing an Engine Hoist and Stand and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the Weight of the Engine/transmission together are for the hoist and just the engine itself.. I am new to restoring and have about 5 manuals on their way but would like to get this ordered before they get here.

Thanks

I dont know , but I just rented a cherry picker type and pulled the engine and trans as a unit no problem. I would guess 500 lbs. would be close. I am sure some one will come up with the actual weight. :classic:

I recently lifted a 280Z engine with tranny attached with my 1 ton chain hoist with no problems. Since the entire car isn't that much over a ton (the early 240Z) I don't think anything larger would be necessary. 500 pounds should be about right -- maybe a little on the high side. After taking the auto tranny off I lifted it w/out hoist into a wheelbarrow, but don't recommend it. Just didn't want to unhook the engine from the hoist at that time. Gary

Originally posted by GaryZ240

I lifted it w/out hoist into a wheelbarrow

Damn Gary, you lifted a loaded L28 by yourself with no hoist? I don't want to ever wizz you off!! LOL LOL

Chris

:finger: No Chris, just the tranny. I may be crazy, but I'm not insane. :stupid: My days of deadlifting anything even near half the weight of the L28 are long gone, if they even ever existed.ROFL
S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

L28E engine 200 kgs/440 lbs

FS5C71B gearbox 40 kgs/90 lbs

///Thomas

Hey Gary, my mistake, mis-read your post. I too have lifted an auto tranny and a bare L24 block but like you those days are over!:disappoin

Chris

  • Author

Thanks everyone.. well I just picked up a 1000lb engine stand and a 2 ton hoist for the paltry sum of 120 dollars at a local shop.. so I am ready to disassemble and see what kind trouble I can get in. You will probably be seeing my name a lot in the next few months..

Hey Splice, good luck with your project. Be safe and make sure you secure the motor to the hoist and then the stand. That long motor can really wobble on an engine stand. I added bracing to my stand, seemed to help with stability.

Much luck,

Chris

  • 2 weeks later...

be sure to use hardened bolts on the engine stand. :classic:

Had my L28 on a 750 engine stand much of last Winter,

and felt like it was "sagging" 'bout 2 months in....

so braced front of engine block with 2 x 4 Just in Case !!!

Don't want it snapping off the stand and hitting the floor..

or my toes !!

1000lb engine lift is fine for both engine and tranny.

Good luck with project.

Where can one get a stand AND a hoist for 120? Everyplace I look wants 200 just for the hoist, and I can't rationalize spending that much for a part I'll use twice...

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.