IGNORED

No Discount at Courtesy Nissan

TomoHawk

I bought my FSM last year from Andy Russel for $75 (1972 year with chassis/body in one volume) brand new.

I haven't really done business with him since (he did however do a good job, I just have been dealing with midwestZ and MSA mainly). Not sure what his prices are like these days. You could try shooting him an email at z@datsundude.com

Bambi is right about the FSM being pretty vague on certain things. It does however have a lot of useful photographs and some good prints of the wiring schematics.

Hi Andrew:

I didn't mean to indicate that a FSM isn't worth having. Far from it. It is one of my most valuable tools. Just meant that people shouldn't expect it to be as detailed as those "__________ for Dummies" type books that many of us have, or could have used on different subjects. It (the FSM) assumes a certain level of automotive knowledge and experience.

Don't leave home without one!:stupid:

There are FSM's on eBay right now for $75

Hello Carl,

I wasn't disagreeing, I agree totally on your point about the FSM having a prerequisite of mechanical aptitude. Lots of sections have a single step for "removal" and "inspection" that leave a little to be desired for someone who has never messed with that particular part before.

I have several manuals and I usually have them all open on my workbench while i'm working on something, and still there are some things I just have to figure out. I think having all the answers given to me would take some of the fun out of it anyway. My Z is not my daily driver (yet) so it is more like a relaxing hobby for me.

Originally posted by Inf

I have several manuals and I usually have them all open on my workbench while i'm working on something, and still there are some things I just have to figure out. I think having all the answers given to me would take some of the fun out of it anyway. My Z is not my daily driver (yet) so it is more like a relaxing hobby for me.

100 % agreement! I work like this as well. I'm no rocket scientist, but I have acquired (over time) a pretty good library of 240Z books, manuals, and other reference materials. I refer to them constantly. What one book doe not cover well is often covered more thoroughly in another book. They all have something to offer me. I work slowly and methodically, and usually am pleased with the results.

While I would refer to a dedicated text on the fuel injection system, I would expect the FSM to have a certain amount of detail to those things that are unique to the Datsun- like the door moulding removal & install. Even if it just says to pry it off carefully to remove, and hammer on carefully to install. Same for the TPS switch ( how to adjust).

Like Carl says, you gotta have some aptitude for most general stuff. Until I come on some other books, I will need to rely more heavily on what reference material I do have.

Originally posted by Bambikiller240

I have acquired (over time) a pretty good library of 240Z books, manuals, and other reference materials.

Hey Carl, maybe if you have some spare time you could create a bibliography of your books and materials and post them as a Technical Article. I know I would find that most useful. As I'm always searching for that elusive Z book or manual. I could help contribute if needed. I have several items but mine are the usual things that most Z nuts already have.

I'll start a list this weekend.

Chris

seems like many of us think alike. I too have quite a collection of various manuals from the chilton series to even the generic chilton series that covers many cars. Haynes. and factory FSM and always find myself with them all open as I work. every car I have ever had I buy a book for and I even keep the books once the cars are gone. makes for good reference .

However only owning 260's and 280's I have enough to make light of anything. There a couple of other invaluable books to have such as "How to modify and tune Bosch L Jetronic fuel injection" and simply "Bosch L Jetronic" are two must haves for any 280Z owner. They cover in much greater detail the injection system than haynes could ever. Also I highly recommend picking up "how to build and modify nissan OHC engines" and the other book specific to L series motors. They certainly cover the engines in greater detail as they are only specific to that application.

I have the 74 FSm for my 260 and use that as most of the basis for any of the Z cars when it pertains to body, dash, interior and things of that nature and most of the knowledge has just come from owning so many Z cars and disassembling them. The wiring in the 280 is relatively straightforward for me by now, however the supplement in the haynes manual has a lot to be desired.

Hey I have bought stuff from MSA since 1990 for my ZX and now for my 240. I agree they are a lot busier than before, but heres my recomendation, . Get the right person on the phone!

I like working with Sal. He knows his stuff and is very friendly. Some of the other guys are not so knoweledgeable, and also not particularly nice either.

When you call MSA and the message asks if you want to connect to a particluar extension, hit 201, it will tek you to Sals phone or his voice mail.

You wont regret it!:D