IGNORED

Original seatbelts for 1970

LEE240ZPERTH

Hi Guy's

Because I got such good feedback from my last question regards 240z radio's, I'll push my luck and ask another.

My last 240z which was a 1972 car had seatbelts with chrome buckles with Datsun written in red lettering across the buckle (from memory)

Another car I owned had belts with chrome buckles with just the letter Z on the release button, can anyone please advise if either of these was from a 1970 car, if it was'nt either of these please advise what is correct.

As you may have guessed I am trying to get my car back to as close to original as possible and need to know exactly what to look for.

Thanks for any help given.

Regards

Lee

The earliest cars had non-retractable lap belts and shoulder strap with a solid black buckle. The top of the buckle lifts to release - like airline buckles. This is a set of them. Take notice of all the hardware. It is different from later types.

post-4148-141507937487_thumb.jpg

These belts are non-retractable type with black buckles and a Z logo button which is pushed to release. And they are later series one - probably 1971. I believe retractable type belts arrived with the 1972 model year.

post-4148-1415079374903_thumb.jpg

The first picture posted (lift up handle on the buckle) are seat belts that are identical to hose in use on the Roadster 2000 and the 1600. I can't recall if they were in use on the very early Z's, but it would stand to reason that Datsun would have used them on the Z as well.

The second picture with the Z logo on a silver background and the black housing are what my car has. I'm pretty sure that is what most Z's have. The shoulder harness clips onto the back of the buckle by aligning the buckle and the shoulder harness buckle and then rotating 90°. If these are the ones you go for, take care to ensure that the concave washer under the attachment rivet is in good condition as this is what keeps the shoulder harness from slippng off the belt.

The retractable belts came later, with the first edition only having retractable lap belts. Retractable shoulder harnesses didn't come till later. If your car does NOT have the cup welded to the floor pan, at the rear where the pan tilts up to meet the tool compartment area, then you will not be able to install the retractable type properly.

The shoulder harness mounts to a nut welded to the body right by the hatch opening. The plastic interior pieces fit over the nut then the shoulder harness can be bolted on. When you install, make sure that there is a hard nylon washer (about 1/4"-3/8" thick) glued to the opening on the plastic trim. This allows you to clamp down on the shoulder harness without cracking the interior trim.

The retractable style of shoulder harness, if memory serves, mounted to the top of the rear strut columns.

Hope this helps.

Enrique Scanlon

Originally posted by lordbiotree

1972 had retractable lap belts.

My very early '72 (9/71) came with non-retractable belts but already had the pockets in the floorpan for the retractors which were added later in the cycle. One of the two bolt holes in each pocket had a rubber plug. I have since removed the plugs and added some retractable belts that 2ManyZ's sawed out of one of his parts cars. To be safe I'll probably get them restored by the place mentioned above.

Lee

Your comments regarding original specification seatbelts for the Australian market 240z are very interesting.

I did a fair bit of digging around when I first got my car in regards to the seatbelts and what was original and what was correct and was advised that the original seatbelts as supplied in the car from the factory were removed from the car when it landed in Australia prior to being sent to the dealership and replaced.

It is my belief that the Australian authorities at the time deemed them unsafe as they required to many movements to secure and take off. They were replaced with belts made by a company in South Australia, Kagnol.

It would be interesting to know if your belts were made in Japan or made in Australia. I have a set of non-retractable belts in my 69 Datsun 1000 that have nice Datsun logos on the buckles. Closer inspection of the manufacturers tag revelas that they were made in Australia.

I have two sets of the original replacement Kagnol ones and know of a few other people that have them installed in their cars and are of the belief that they are "original" specification.

Maybe your old car slipped through the cracks?

Regards

Joseph

Hi Joseph

Thanks for the info, very interesting, my car has the Kangol belts as you have suggested in your reply.

I find it hard to believe that the original belt could have been worse than the Kangol design.

Looks like my car was'nt 100% original even when it was brand new:(

Thanks again for the info Joseph, at least I know the car has original belts even if it is the Aussie version of original.

Lee