IGNORED

240 Z Wood 5 Speed Gear Shift Knob

Go240Zags

Hi, Just curious if any of you non-North American types that got the 240Z with a factory five speed had a spare shift knob for sale? In the U.S. we got the wooden (walnut I guess) shift knobs with the 4 speed pattern as the 4 speed was all that was available here. Since I've swapped in a 5 speed from a later model I'd like the 5 speed wooden knob (not the fake leather one). If you have a decent spare, would you be willing to sell it to a Yank? Or, If you have an extra (uncracked) plastic disk with the shift patter (black background, white pattern), I could just put it on my four speed knob in the place of my original disk.

I guess I'm assuming the 5 speed knobs in England, Oz and Japan were wooden like the 4 speed knobs. Am I right, any spares available? I'm including a photo of an original 4 speed wooden knob to illustrate what I'm looking for, except for the 5 speed pattern. Gary

post-5416-14150793747749_thumb.jpg

Sure, I'd like to see it. Curious about what the original 240Z five speed knobs looked like. I have one of the fake leather ones with a green background. Off a 280Z I think. Gary

Originally posted by GaryZ240

Curious about what the original 240Z five speed knobs looked like. I have one of the fake leather ones with a green background. Off a 280Z I think. Gary

I had a factory 240Z five speed knob several years ago. The knob looked EXACTLY like the four speed knob you pictured, except it showed the fifth gear gate above the reverse. Same wood, dark background, chrome trim...

I've seen the 280Z five speed knobs. They have the fake (?) leather, silver numbers and red background. I'm wondering if Mushuprok5 is refering to the 280Z knob?

I think you're right KoreaVet, I want the one that looks just exactly like the original 4 speed, but with the 5 speed disk as you discribe, not one with a red background. I have one with a green background on the leather-like knob I'm sure from a 280Z, probably from the donar car where my 5 speed came from. Not sure as a PO installed the tranny. Gary

I have an old gearknob in the cupboard and from memory, it is very similar to that one, but has a chrome ring around the bottom. I think it was only plastic that had been chromed, because it has cracked. I'm curious now. I will have to dig around in the garage to find out.

Here's a ( bad ) pic of the Factory 5-speed gear knob.

I have an NOS one that might be for sale at the right price ( which would probably be the wrong price for most people...:classic: ). Sorry.

I have a couple of used ones, but they are a bit messed up. I doubt that you would want one of those.

post-2116-14150793757616_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by GaryZ240

I have one with a green background on the leather-like knob I'm sure from a 280Z, probably from the donar car where my 5 speed came from. Not sure as a PO installed the tranny. Gary

In fact, my factory stock, California issue 78 280Z had the green face on black leather shift knob, although it had a four speed pattern to match the tranny.

I'm in need of a 240Z 5-speed gear shift knob to...

I've been using an old ragged 4-speed wooden one for years.

I don't car the condition. I don't even car if it'll screw in place. I would just like to place one on the stick.

The plastic 5-speed disc.

I don't car if the knob is cracked or in poor condition. As long as I can see 5 numbers and the thing wont fall apart.

A fair-new knob probably would be out of my budget.

-Brandon

Originally posted by HS30-H

Here's a ( bad ) pic of the Factory 5-speed gear knob.

I have an NOS one that might be for sale at the right price ( which would probably be the wrong price for most people...:classic: ). Sorry.

I have a couple of used ones, but they are a bit messed up. I doubt that you would want one of those.

What would be a right price HS30-H? I'm also interested in a 5-speed wooden gear knob .....

For my 5 speed I purchased the factory leather knob from a 280ZX. It is excellent quality and has silver face with black pattern lettering.

Those wooden ones are near impossible to find. The old Datsun Comp. Dept. used to have them in their catalog.

• 3 weeks later...

are you still looking for one cause i have a 73 240 one the chrome is missing of the bottom of it well most of it and it has a crack in that same bit of plastic you interested...?