IGNORED

Radio question

LEE240ZPERTH

Hi all

Can someone please advise me as to what is the correct radio for a 1970 240z.

I have seen several radios where there is a small switch above the knob on the right hand side unit but a mate of mine who has a nice original 1970 car has a radio that has a switch on the right hand side of the knob not above it, I assume this is the correct radio spec for a 1970 car but not totally sure, would appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Lee

Does anyone know if the '78 280Z has the wiring for the speakers in the wiring harness? I think the PO of my car has one speaker output hooked into the radio connector, but I couldn't really find it in the wiring diagram, or the other speaker wire(s).

thx

The very first radio was an AM only radio and had the antenna switch to the right of the tuning knob. (Can't imagine that the knobs would be reversed on RHD cars.) As far as I know, when the radios changed to AM/FM then the switch was moved to be ABOVE the tuning knob.

I'm not exactly sure when the switch to AM/FM happened, so if anyone can help....

Enrique Scanlon

Thanks 26th Z for the pictures it's much appreciated, However I would be grateful if you could take a look at the attached, Enrique has advised that the earliest radio's were AM only and had the toggle switch to the side, as you will see this unit has FM clearly marked on the buttons but has the switch to the side.

Can you advise which model year this may have come from.

Thank again

Lee

post-2329-14150793747275_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

Lee, that looks like the ones that came in the 260's if I'm not mistaken. Looks like the one that I took out of my 75 280 many years ago. I think that it may have been the standard radio in the 74-78 cars.:ermm:

Yes, that actually looks like the one in my '78 280Z as well. It's interested me that they put the antenna rocker back on the right side. So, my '70 240Z and my '78 280Z have the same antenna rocker position. The 280 is AM/FM and the 240 is AM only.

Lee:

If you look at the faceplate with the radio you posted, you'll note that the sides angle outwards from bottom to top. The 240's had it angled very slightly INWARDS from bottom to top. Even if you were to turn your faceplate upside down, it would still be too wide and have too steep an angle to fit in the Heater Control Panel.

Additionally, the early 240 radios when they finally added FM, only had TWO buttons to switch to FM, not three as your picture shows, and they were on the right hand side of the set of five.

The additional clues that point to your picture being of a later model Z, or another car, is that there are no screw holes in the lower edge corners, and there is additional silver trim on your faceplate. The earlier radio faceplates needed the screws to lock onto the HCP and had very little decoration (only the names of the knobs and the antenna directions on the switch above, and the antenna directions on the toggle knob on the up and down on the side.)

Hope this helps.

Enrique Scanlon

Thanks for the great info guy's, your advice will help me a lot in my search for an original 1970 radio (now I know exactly what I'm looking for.

Particular thanks to Enrique for the in depth response and for pointing out the face plate configuration, had'nt even noticed that.

Thanks

Lee