Rear caliper mounting brackets - Wheels & Brakes - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Rear caliper mounting brackets

Featured Replies

Hey guys,

A couple of days ago, there was a post that discussed the rear disc brake conversion on early Z's and some of the folks were interested in what to use for the rear caliper mounting bracket. Well, I looked through my files last night and here is the info:

When installing 82 - 83 280ZX rear calipers on the early Z cars, use the following p/n DAT 4415504S10 ADAPTOR C (2req)

These are caliper mounting brackets from 81 - 84 Maxima front wheel drive cars and they are the ticket, as opposed to fabricating your own brackets from raw stock. Yes, a factory Nissan (Datsun) part that bolts right upto your early Z.

Just put a set on my 240, $52 each at the dealer.

  • Author

Lance,

Looks like the price hasn't gone up! Got mine from Courtesy Nissan about two years ago. I just think its so cool that so many parts interchange between models.............thrifty engineering I suppose!!!

What rotors did you guys use? Have to use any spacers or other mods? Or is it all bolt on. Thanks in advance.

  • Author

Chris,

Without accessing my files at home.......As I recall there are two different rear discs to choose from on the 280ZX's. Basically one has more offset than the other. The want to use the one with the least amount of offset. I'll look for details tonight when I get home and post the info tomorrow......unless one of members can help us out here.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Thanks Tom, hopefully you or another member can remember which rotors. I am so ready for rear discs.

  • Author

Chris,

Another tidbit of info that may be of use to you. Of course, go with S.S. flex hoses on all four corners and I recommend the AXXIS Metal Master pads (manf'd in Australia) as well. They work great and shead minimal brake dust, if any. These pads are rotor friendly and claim to last up to four times longer than standard issue pads. So far, I am a believer!!!

For my conversion I used 300zx front rotors turned down about .2" in diameter with 81 zx front calipers, a spacer was needed between the caliper and the mount to center it over the rotor.

Rears used 83 280zx turbo calipers and non turbo rotors, no spacers etc needed it all just bolted on.

To complete the conversion I used the MC and proporsioning valve from the 81 zx.

I got the best prices on the rotors at rockauto.com, American made and real nice. Whole conversion cost me around $250 plus what I took off of the 81 parts car.

Thanks Lance, I'm off to the salvage yard this weekend!!

Grab all of the mounting bolts when you go, you'll need the ones that go with the new calipers!

Hey Lance, one more question. Will I have to pull the stub axles to get the new brackets on?

Thanks,

Chris

I'm pretty sure that with the Maxima brackets you will have to pull the stub axle. I think that is why the brackets from Modern Motorsports and others are so popular, as you don't have to pull the stub axle to mount them.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.