IGNORED

Hatch Vents and Tubes

texasz

I'm looking for the hatch vents from a series I 240Z. These are the vents that are inside the hatch and the drain tubes that attach to them. Nissan part numbers are as follows

Assy-Duct Rear Ventilator Outor: 90820-E4100

Tube-Drain: 90828-E4101

New or used would be just fine. If you have a pair, or two, or can get them please provide pix (unless new) and price you want for them.

I have attached a pic to help.

attachment.php?s=&postid=75640

Geez, I didn't know these were still out there new.....:stupid:

Chloe, one question, do the barrel clips on the outside vent grill insert into the plastic or the hatch metal itself. My hatch has holes that are way too big for the barrel clips, and the holes in the drains are too big as well for whatever reason. Guess that's why my car didn't have grilles on it when I bought it. I'm just trying to determine which holes are wrong before I mess with the hatch.:ermm:

Sorry...just ask and you shall receive LOL

26th-Z is the authority on the whole vent grille attachment process. As far as I know, there is a clip on speedy-nut type thing that was originally clipped on to the hatch itself. The part number for that clip is still available, but it looks like an over-sized emblem barrel clip instead of the original piece (?). I could be way off...so someone who knows- feel free to chime in.

Hmm, if it's just a clip I'm missing that is fine with me....:D

I was thinking their had to be either another clip or a different barrel clip for the outside grilles that went all the way into the drain.:ermm:

I've got new grilles, but they seem to have the "regular" style barrel clip that is used on all the emblems.

My drains are in good shape, so if all I need is a clip that makes me feel better....:geek:

Hey, texasz, those hatch vents look kind of familiar....

2Many, when i installed my hatch vent grills, I used the standard size barrel clips that are used for all the emblems. And they clipped into the hatch sheet metal. At least, that's the way I remember it.

Ok right.

The installation is perminent without breaking parts (hatch grills most probably) to take it apart so be careful. Take a look at texasz's picture. The vent duct "boxes" and the vent face plate glue together as one unit. The vent face plate has a rain guard drip edge that faces into the vent duct box. The drain tubes are not really part of this issue. They can be put on later. It's the vent duct box assembly that gets sealed and clipped to the underside of the hatch. Seal the vent duct assembly to the underside of the hatch and clip it into place with C clips that grab the hatch and the vent assembly. The C clips have holes in them to align with the holes in the hatch and the vent duct for the grill pins. The grill pins with the barrel clips snap into the holes. Once that is all put together, there is no way to get to the back side of the grill pins. They are inside the vent duct and it is glued and clipped to the hatch. Prying the grill off from the top usually results in breaking the plastic pins. Also, this is a great area for exhaust gasses to leak into the car. Sealing the vent to the hatch is essential.

The vent face plates usually get real brittle and disintigrate from UV. I can see how the duct boxes could be sealed directly to the hatch with silicone sealant. You might try sealing the vents to hatch instead of using the C clips. They just make the installation REALLY hard to get apart without breaking something.

Yea, I was amazed that they are still available.

Well, the main reason I asked was because the holes in the hatch for the outside grilles was drilled out obviously for some reason as the barrel clips fall right thru the holes.

Maybe someone thought that the barrel clips inserted into the vent box body itself and that not only held the grilles but also helped to hold the body of the drain box in place. Guess that means I'm gonna have to do some repair work on the hatch..:angry:

The boxes in mine are loose and the "face plates" are gone, no doubt loose somewhere inside the hatch....:ermm:

Hmm. I'm still not following, Chris. What do these "C" clips look like? When I took #215 apart, the drains were already in a parts box, and the grills were being held on by some nuts with integral star washers (see pic). I suspected that it wasn't original. :ermm:

So there are 4 parts? Grill, "box", drain, and c-clip (2?)

post-4028-14150793589392_thumb.jpg

Here's a better picture of the assemblies - disassembled. The top piece is the vent plate I was talking about with the "eroded" drip edge. See what happens after 34 years? The plate glues on to the duct box and holds the duct off the hatch so that air can flow into the duct from inside the car. See the other slit vent in the duct box? The picture Chloe sent me of the new pieces have foam between the duct box and the face plate, holding the duct box further off the hatch. The round holes in either end of the box and face plate is where the grill pins go.

After fooling with all this (plastic - breakable), I can understand why Datsun went to the vents in the wings.

post-4148-14150793589773_thumb.jpg

Wow Mark!

I don't have a picture of the C clips. But imagine...without the grill in place (it goes on last), hold the vent assembly in place and aligned with the rectangular holes in the hatch. The C clip "clips" the vent to the hatch on either end - right over the grill pin holes. But the C clip has grill pin holes also, so the grill pin holes line up and you just push the grill into place.

Edit: Actually, I think the C clip arrangement is disasterous and I might suggest glueing the vent to the hatch with silicone seal.