IGNORED

For Interest Only (Toyota 2000GT)

Alfadog

That should be 'Pete' rather than 'Peter' Brock in Carl's post. Just to distinguish between these two great men.

Hi Stephen:

I know that a lot of times Automotive Writers have called him "Pete" or used "Pete Brock" and it would be a way of differentiating the two... However; since his Son and Wife refer to him as "Peter", I somehow got the impression that he didn't particularly like being referred to as "Pete".

Personally, I've always addressed him Mr. Brock and have avoided the use of "Pete"...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Does anyone have an ISBN number? Easier to order / locate.

Hi Rich:

I ordered my copy directly from Kai Art International (Shin's company I believe). You can send an e-mail to:

KAI@Frazmtn.com

- to see if the Book is still available (it was a limited production product)... then Fax or E-mail an order. Of course you can use snail mail as well.

Kai Art International

P.O. Box 807

Lebec, CA 93243

The book was $100.00 plus $15.00 shipping and they accept Visa, MasterCard or Personal Check.

regards,

Carl B.

rdefabri, in this case we are referring to the 'BRE' man rather than the recently deceased Australian driver. I met the American Pete Brock along with his crew chief Mac Tilton at his shop in El Segundo, Ca. nearly 35 years ago and they were one of the main reasons I got into Datauns in the first place.

Stephen,

Yes, I gotcha on that. When I first heard of the death of "Peter Brock", I thought of the BRE Peter Brock.

I believe that BRE Peter Brock was "promised" the original US 2000GTs, but instead they went to Carroll Shelby. I suppose that is one reason BRE Peter Brock got Datsuns....

Rich

That reminds me of a blurb I read in Classic and Sports Car back in the late 1990's about a real 'barnfind' Toyota 2000GT that had been left to sit outside and bake in the sun. It was going to need a full restoration but even in its neglected state it was still beautiful. I always imagined playing the eccentric and collecting a car like that and not restoring it! I first got that idea when attending a British Car Day in Bowie some years back and in the spectator parking lot a Ferrari 250 Lusso had been parked and it had faded paint, cracked leather seats and dash and filthy Borrani wire wheels. It was simply beautiful to see it in that condition.

I know it's just me....... but is there anyone else out there?

I have to admit that I am more than a little puzzled as to why a Toyota 2000 GT would be worth a quarter million dollars today in the Collector Market.

Granted that Toyota has become the superpower of the worlds automotive market and therefore developed a large following of very loyal customers. But Toyota could hardly be described as being known for it's Sports Cars. (yes they have built a few - and yes the Supra's are very good etc).

Yes the Toyota 2000 GT is a very limited production vehicle, and granted they are pretty rare. Rare however is not necessarily assurance of a high market demand nor value. Rare and Highly Desirable usually drive prices up.... but I'm puzzled as to who, or what group of people have such a burning desire to own one of the these oddities.

The Toyota 2000 GT was a valiant attempt and it certainly lead the Japanese Sports Car market in the mid 60's. Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder; nonetheless we can discuss its styling in terms of esthetics, balance, harmony and period or era, as well as compare it to the Datsun 240-Z that followed.

The styling was sort of retro so to speak - back to the early 50's Jag.'s (flowing curves and bulbous fenders and side panels).... and somewhat conflicted in character. Was it British (Jag) or Italian (Ferrari) or Japanese? Smooth body lines abruptly interrupted by really ugly headlights and a huge nose, out of proportion to the rest of the car. Swooppy - YES, harmonious - NO.

The 2000 GT didn't really do all that well in the competition world - it was too heavy. It really didn't do well in the market place either - it was too expensive to manufacture, too slow and too cramped to sell well in the US in the mid 60's.

For that matter the Yamaha A550X of the same period, was a far better looking design - in my personal opinion.

Would anyone of us really pay a hundred grand more for a Toyota 2000 GT than a 68-72 Ferrari Daytona Coupe?? NOT ME...

Forgetting for a minute rarity... sitting a Datsun 240-Z beside a Toyota 2000GT... they are day and night. Where the 2000GT was heavy, costly to build, and conflicted in styling cues... the 240-Z was lightweight, inexpensive to build and one of the all time clean and beautifully styled GT's. Where the 2000 GT wasn't exactly a class leader on the track - the 240-Z dominated it's class for years and many are still being raced today. Where the 2000 GT caught the attention of the automotive press and buying public - although briefly. The 240-Z changed the US Sports Car market over-night and changed the image of Japanese Automobiles.

I know it's just me, but I just don't get it. There are only a few 2000 GT's left, because there were only a few built to begin with. Only a few built because it was not a very good design nor Sports GT in the first place. It had no significant impact on the worlds automotive markets.... so how can one be worth a quarter million dollars to anyone today? I could see maybe $45K to $55K..... just to own a rare oddity...

FWIW

Carl B.