IGNORED

What defines a 240Z a classic?

hls30.com

HLS30.com wrote:

>Carl, I agree with everything you said, but what makes you feel that way.

Books have been written in an attempt to answer that question.;-)

What we are really trying to get to here is the subject and study of Esthetics

and in turn the effect of esthetics on our emotions.

What makes anything "beautiful" to the human eye, to the human ear?

Symmetry , order, continuity, flow, balance.

We are attracted to beauty because we feel comfortable with it.

We describe things that we see or hear using the term "beautiful". We don't

"normally" use the term beautiful for things that we taste, smell or feel

(although there are times we might).

The theory is that because we acquire most information from our

environment in the form of sine waves - we are most comfortable with

elements in our environment that comply to the same form.

We "see" because we receive visible light in the form of sine waves.

We "hear" because we receive sound in the form of sine waves.

We breath rhythmically.. our heart beats rhythmically

What is the opposite? Conflict, disorder, discord....

If you draw a single line to express symmetry, order, continuity, flow,

balance.. that single line would be a sine wave.

To men - in general terms again - the form and lines of the female body

represent symmetry, order, continuity, flow and balance. In "Classic Cars" it's

that same form and lines, that same symmetry, order, continuity, flow and

balance..

Most people instinctively recognize beauty.. very few can create it. Beauty is

indeed in the eye of the beholder - but only a few exceptional people are

gifted with the ability to move it from their conceptual minds into a physical

form of some kind. That's why Chris is an Architect... and I had to settle for

being an Engineer ;-(

So why do we love that 240-Z? It's the female form and that is pure sex man!! If God made anything better- he kept it for himself! ;-)

FWIW,

Carl

Carl Beck

Clearwater,FL USA

http://ZHome.com

Thanks TomoHawk! Once again, "Good answer, I like the way you think!"

Again: "Carl, I agree with everything you said, but what makes you feel that way. What is it YOU love about a 240Z?"

I want your answer. Not a "we" or "To men" answer!

Your answer is improtant to me, and Your answer is expected to start with something very similar to: "I love a 240Z because..."

Trust me, I understand the complexity of a mans relationship to beauty, and by askiing for a direct answer, I am not trying to trivialize it. I want to do something on this forum no other forum has done, come up with a real and applicable definition of what makes a car a classic! With the passion this group has for their cars, I expect we have everything we need to get to the essence of the question!, many of the components are here, I want everbody to be a part of this because every body has an opinion and it matters.-especially one have have to work so hard to get-yours!

If all I need to do is change the "we" to an "I" in your last sentance- just say so-if not take a heart-quickening spin in the Z, be sure to give it a thankyou look, and come back and tell me!

I think it is hard to boil it down to one specific element that makes you love your Z, because I know at least for me it wasn't just one thing that made me love it, it was the entire package.

That said, I always loved feeling her fenders just after a good polish...

(I always referred to my Z as a "he" but in that case I'd prefer not to!!! ROFL)

Ok, just to start thing off in the right direction(maybe) I'll put some of my reasons:

Remember the ol' CLASSIC muscle cars? what did they have? 4 wheels (bias ply- no radials), engine & trans, BENCH seats (buckets if you had more money),

and basic body. OK, a radio & heater too. Good BASIC car., and they sold like hotcakes. And they call it CLASSIC now.

" I like my Z-car because..."

I like the 'basicness' of the car. it has 2 seats that aren't fancy with stuff like power lumbar or motors to move it up/back. No fancy leather, just some solid padding and newish, clean cloth(eclipse seats).

There's no a/c, but it does give you a decent flow of fresh air through the center vents on the a/c setting. the radio is a simple AM/FM/cassete model with digital tuning; no XM satelite or CD changer. Plus it has only the two speakers under the quarter windows. I like to hear the songs, but don't want to be distracted by THUMPing or screaming(except the L28).

For the interior features, there's only your basic carpet to keep vacuuming to a minimum, the vinyl is a wipe-to-clean thing and all the glass is easy to get at.

Behind the wheel I see the tacho, and speedo, three basic instrument guages just to the right, out of sight so I can concentrate on the tech & speedo. Occasionally a look at the temp, volts & gas gauge, maybe the clock (who cares what time it is when I'm cruiZZZing)?

Engine is the straight-6 powerline with 100+ Horses to get me on the freeway when I need to. No 700-foot takeoff roll, like my econo-box wants! I just push my foot & GO. You get buffetted by wind if you leave the windows down, but I expect that in a classic sports car, or any sports car. Unlike the old Enzos, I won't be needing goggles to go with the engine & breeze. I got a windscreen & windows/roof. No oil in your face either, but I don't mind.

Chassis gives me a good 'feel' of the road, no smoothed out, mushy ride you get on a poolmat! If I turn the wheel, it TURNS.

If I were to take a picture, it would be something looking through the steering wheel, down the hood at the highway (not parking lot) as it goes under. I'd use a narrow lens, so all you see the the wheel on top, maybe the top of the dash on bottom, then the rest. Not too far back from the wheel,like if you were bent over driving.

POEM PART:

I feel free in my Z.

No dread while driving my Zed.

I exillerate from the sound of my L28.

I'd drive near and far

in my REAL SPORTS CAR.

Good, honest CLAZZIC SPORTS CAR. :love: