Jump to content

  •  


    Welcome to our Knowledge Base

    roa090117dpt-boot-swcnew8-1501000926.jpg

    Here you will find technical contributions by our members.  

    Also be sure to check out other technical info in the Downloads and Forums.  We highly recommend obtaining a copy of the Zcar Microfiche.


  • Sign in to follow this  

    A-Pillar Cracked Plastic Trim Fix


    Captain Obvious

    The early Z's used a simple vinyl covering on the A-pillars, but in 77 they switched to a screw retained plastic trim A-pillar cover. Well Datsun must have messed up some dimension somewhere because the plastic trim covers often crack due to the stress of tightening the screws.  On my right hand side, I had one of the screws pull through. Cracked the plastic mounting hole clean off.

    My first attempt to remedy the situation was to simply buy another used pair somewhere off some forum. Unfortunately, the donor pair I bought not only had the same problem, but it was even the same screw, same location. This meant that I couldn't even use one side from my original pair, and the other side from the donor pair. It became clear that this is a common problem and it's not just me. With that in mind, I took matters into my own hands.

    Here's what I started with. My right side. Completely cracked off mounting hole in the lower position:
    P1120721.JPG

    It's supposed to look like this. Here's the other side where the screw boss is still intact:
    P1120728.JPG

    Figuring I had nothing to lose, I put a piece of tape over the hole on the visible side:
    P1120725.JPG

    Crosshatched the plastic on the hidden side:
    P1120726.JPG

    Taped a short length of small diameter cardboard tube where the mounting boss should be and filled the moat with epoxy:
    P1120735.JPG

    Gave it a day to cure, peeled off the cardboard, and using a dremel and some hand filing, I contoured the new boss to fit the into place on the car and drilled the hole for the screw:
    P1120751.JPG

    Countersink the other side for the screw head:
    P1120749.JPG

    Used a small brush to paint the exposed epoxy:
    P1120760.JPG

    And after the paint dried, the repair is nearly invisible:
    P1120804.JPG

    So I also figured that since I'd already seen two broken bosses, I would take the opportunity to reinforce the remaining ones which had not broken off (yet). I crosshatched the area and blobbed on a generous amount of epoxy to support the posts. And while I was looking at everything, I also noticed a couple small cracks starting to form along the edges, so I made a couple metal splints and epoxied them into place as reinforcement.

    After all this work, these things should be good for another forty years. Here's one of the splints next to a reinforced mounting boss:
    P1120795.JPG

    Installed back in the car, and I know it's the little things, but I don't have to look over at the right side of the car and see that missing screw in the cracked off mounting boss! Happy Happy!  :victorious:


    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.



    Guest
    This is now closed for further comments

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.