IGNORED

Series-1 Hatch Vent Duct Clips & Restoration Info Needed

Hardway

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few updates.  I spoke to the manufacturing company today.  They have started working on the tooling for the clips but cutting of the first clip is still one to two weeks out.  The account representative I am working will let me know when I can come by and inspect the first clip for QC.

I went by Fastenal today to see if they could get a spring nut.  Pictured below is the closest they had.  He verified it is a #8 spring nut.  Price is .45/ea if 100 are ordered.  The one below is actually shrink wrapped to the reference page so we could not flip it over.  Another name for these is a fender panel clip. I am going to keep investigating to see if I can locate something that is closer to the original.

LowerClip03.jpg

Jeff,

If you haven't already, try Auveco.  https://www.auveco.com/

I have found numerous parts there for my Z that I could not find anywhere else and their catalog is extensive.  They even have an entire section dedicated to metric.  This is where I was able to locate the plastic door panel clips that hold the door panel to the door itself.  Not an exact match to the originals but they worked perfectly.

They might just have what you are looking for.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike W said:

Jeff,

I have found numerous parts there for my Z that I could not find anywhere else and their catalog is extensive.  They even have an entire section dedicated to metric.  This is where I was able to locate the plastic door panel clips that hold the door panel to the door itself.  Not an exact match to the originals but they worked perfectly.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

That's the same company that sells the Ford panel rivets that are almost an exact match for the Z panel rivets. You can get 50 of those for the price of about 10 Nissan panel rivets.

Here's a link to an earlier thread where I mentioned them: 

Edited by SteveJ

2 hours ago, Mike W said:

Jeff,

Hope that helps.

Mike.

That is so funny because a box of larger clips they had were in a green box but I could not tell what name was on it.  Now I know!  I will research their site and see what I can find.  Thank you Mike!

Jeff,

No problem.  The best thing to do is to download their catalog and search through it.  It's over 800 pages so it is quite extensive and almost anything you may need for automotive hardware.  There are pages and pages of U clips and so it's likely you will find what you need. 

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a few updates.  First, I received pictures of the test clip they produced.  They called me last week and they were having trouble making the clip due to the spring steel breaking while they were bending it.  The clip they were able to make looks a little thick.  I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon to check it out in person with my digital calipers.  An issue I see with the metal being too thick is the chrome vent cover will not be able to sit on the metal.  It already has a shallow recess for the stock clip and I am concerned this new one may not fit in the recess.  I am taking a cover with me too for my test fitting. Check out the pictures below.

Test01.jpg

Test02.jpg

While I was at the parts store picking up some items and looked through the Dorman hardware section.  I found packages of #8 and #10 speed nuts.  In the middle is the OEM spring nut that Zup has loaned me.  On the left is the #8 part number 454060BP.  On the right is the #10 and its part number is 454030BP.  The #10 looks really close and I am unsure if it is possible to find anything closer.  I still need to check out Auveco but thought I would share my findings.

Dorman01.jpg

Dorman02.jpg

A quick update.  I went and QC'd the hatch clip this afternoon.  The metal was not thick like I thought and easily rested flush in the recess of the hatch vent trim.  There were two minor issues.  1. The hole was a little too far to the right based on the pictures. 2. The bend on the bottom and far right was a little too long.  It actually would have worked the way it was but I asked it be corrected to match the original more.  The next test clip should be ready tomorrow or Wednesday.  I will keep everyone posted.

• Like 2

Good news!  I QC'd the second clip this morning and it is 100% spot on.  I gave them the green light to make the other 99 and then send them off for clear zinc plating.  Turn around is about 2 weeks from today.  This will be a total of 100 clips (25 sets)  I will be keeping 2 for myself and selling the remaining 23.  Once I have all the clips in my hand I will post an official thread in the Garage Business forum.

Zup, I have your clips and will be sending them back to you soon.  Once i do I will PM you the details.  Thank you again for letting me use them to get this project off the ground. 

• Like 2