IGNORED

Genuine Datsun 240z JDM/Euro Spoiler

cataloney

Unfortunately, I cannot help you in your quest to track down a NOS Euro/JDM spoiler, but in respect of the mid (08/73 on) to later (1978) cars, there are some differences between the factory-supplied spoilers. There is an excellent article on the very early factory spoilers on this site somewhere, but the one in your picture is mid 1970's manufacture, I believe.

I looked at my RHD parts book and there are five different spoiler references, but no changeover or supersession dates between these. In the UK I have only seen two variants. The one illustrated in your thread starter is mid 1970's. On this, the flat part to the right hand side, where the "Datsun" emblem if fitted, only extends about 3/4 of the way up the spoiler. On later cars, like my 1977 built 260z (see attached image), the flat face extends right to the top.

At least from 08/73 on, factory rear spoilers were fitted with "C"-shaped rubber cushions at each end where they extend over the rear quarter panels, but to see these on a car is very rare.

Also, the "Datsun" emblem styles on these spoilers are different across the years, but from 8/73 on the "Datsun" emblem became more rounded (see image). Earlier styles have a "sharper" edge to the text.

If you would like any photographs of the mid style (08/73 on) JDM/Euro factory spoiler to confirm any details I do have one, but it is not new.

rear Spoiler Fiche Scan.jpg

DSC00318.JPG

IMG_9794.JPG

Greetings jerz, surprisingly wonderful response.  Your scan of the parts manual invited me to look in mine.  This may be the thread you refer;

My North American Export Parts Catalog (HLS30 - USA and Canada) reveals 4 results for a rear spoiler; 98100-E4600, E4601, N3300 and N3525. 

Thank you 26th-Z,

That is the link I was referring to.

The early-style spoiler in your link from the post above illustrates that there is a distinct difference between the early, and mid-model to later types. It appears that cataloney is after a mid to possibly late style spoiler from the image in the thread starter. Attached is a photograph of a mid-style spoiler, which illustrates that the reinforcing structure is integral, with the fixing studs incorporated into the spoiler moulding itself. The late model S30 spoiler, which has the flat face that extends the full height of the spoiler, is virtually identical in construction to the mid-model spoiler, aside from the flat face height difference. These mid to late model spoilers were moulded in a hard white resin, but were then spray painted. Certainly in the case of the late model, the white moulding was sprayed satin black.

In respect of the part numbers you cite, for completeness, below are the rear spoiler references from the RHD parts fiche:

Up to 07/73 fiche only

98100-E4600

98100-E4601

Up to 07/73 and 08/73 onwards fiche

98100-N3300

98100-N3525

98100-N3527

98100-N3105

98100-N3528

I don't know why there are so many spoiler variants, perhaps to accommodate different emblem configurations.

Mid Model Rear Spoiler.JPG

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2016 at 5:40 AM, Jarvo2 said:

My BRE original style one has the raised area for an emblem.  Got it from BRE2.net

Any feedback on the BRE reproduction of (Z432-R) "ribbed" style rear spoiler? Are you happy with the quality and fitment? I was looking to order 1 myself. 

Mine required quite a bit of sanding to make it sit flush against the decklid and the mounting bolts are not exactly lined up (each one is unique I believe).  With that being said, its overall a great piece, much better than the cheapo's that you find on eBay.

• Like 1

Thanks, good to know. I've seen a few in Japan that I've considered buying. There are various amounts of reproductions available. However the thread above is a good guide as it shows the early style. The mounting points are interesting, I didn't realise the factory ones looked like that. So will keep an eye out in my searches. The BRE version seems like a good candidate however.

Just a shame shipping them to Australia is going to be expensive given size / dimensions. So only interested in buying in bulk. But you need to be confident in the product to buy in bulk.