IGNORED

First time Z purchase-1978 280Z 2x2

One Way

I just purchased an amazingly complete 78 280Z.  The only thing I have found missing is one of the center caps on the hubcaps.  Unfortunately the car has been sitting for 19 years and is quite rusty.  I purchased it as a project car sooner than I expected.  I am still finishing off a 68 Datsun 2000 Roadster that was abandoned and purchased in very rough shape with lots of parts missing or previously modified.  Prior to that purchase I had little knowledge or appreciation for the early Datsun performance cars but quickly fell in love with this car.  Slowly it is getting ready to be put back on the road after 15 years of having no official registration.  It was purchased with no title, no keys, no history and has been a very enjoyable project except for the scarcity and cost of parts.  That is what drew me to the early Z cars as many of the mechanical parts are still available through local auto parts stores and there are many aftermarket suppliers selling body parts, interior kits, repair panels, floor boards, frame rails, etc. to make the resurrection process a bit more efficient.  I am looking forward to this new challenge, a bit fearful of the rust damage, but anxious to tackle the project.  I had already purchased "HOW TO RESTORE YOUR Z CAR" by Mr. Humble earlier this spring and am sure that will be an excellent resource to help out with this project.

I will be looking for a factory repair manual to help out in this resurrection process and this website seems to have loads of helpful info that will be of great value as well.  Looking forward to being a part of this online car club.  Thanks, John-Lugoff, SC

Welcome aboard.  :)

Here's the Factory Service Manual and the EFI "Bible" for downloading or just viewing.  Thanks to BLUE. :beer:

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/52471-fsms-are-available-here/

And another big help, thanks to Blue, with plenty of pictures and easily understandable directions.  (I think he's from the South but won't admit it, says he's Canadian  LOL)

http://atlanticz.ca/index.php/tech-tips.html

Edited by siteunseen

Thank you for the friendly and helpful response so quickly.  Looking forward to the Z challenge.  I am a transplanted northerner.  Moved to SC about 5 years ago and do not miss the snow and cold of Northern winters at all.  Thank the LORD our home and our daughters home have been spared the disasterous flooding occurring today throughout SC.  Thanks again, John-Lugoff, SC