IGNORED

Welding On The Strut Housings Without Removing Bearings?

HaZmatt

Hi guys, i'm considering getting a set of the BC coilovers. They require you to cut off your strut housing leaving a 2" nub. The new assembly slides over the 2" nub and then you weld the new assembly to the base. Sounds easy enough, right?

My question is this.... is it necessary to remove the wheel bearings to do so? Maybe im being lazy but it would be soooo much easier to just unbolt the assembly from the car, weld them on, then reinstall. Other than having to remove the brand new bearings I just put in, probably have to buy new bearings, reinstall and repack with grease.

Will the welder heat up the carrier so much that it could warp the bearings? Just wanted your thoughts.

Here is the link to the coilovers.

http://www.jpngarage.com/260Z-280Z-BC-br-coilovers-19745-to-1978-BR-74-78-280Z.htm

I also don't think there would be a problem. Stich weld if necessary.

And as suggested... Don't clamp your ground wire onto the rotating portion. Clamp the ground onto the same side of the bearings the weld will be located so the welding current doesn't have to go through the balls. It's never good to send welding current through the balls.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...