IGNORED

Blue smoke and high capicity oil pump

zdude1967

Hello

I just rebuilt my top end and have a good amount of blue smoke. It did not smoke prior to the top end rebuild.

I installed a high capicity oil pump when I rebuilt adds about 15 to 20% more oil. Could this be the cause of the blue smoke. Am I flooding the engine with too much oil.

The engine is stock.

Thanks

Glenn

Could easily be an over oiling issue.

Higher capacity is one thing but has the pump got higher pressure as well?

If your valve clearances to the guides is good and the valve oil seals are new, then I would go back to a stock oil pump and see the difference.

Did you attempt to increase your compression ratio by doing the head?

How were your oil/compression rings?

I have a turbo pump in my 'stock' engine......no blue smoke. Could be the pump, sure....do as Nissanman suggests and swap the old one back in for argument sake.

As far as the head goes, it 'should' be good, yes?

Good luck man!

Please please oh please, let it only be the head was assembled without the valve seals..... or just one forgotten.

Other than that? head gasket? You did use a new one, didn't you? block face cleaned properly? The oil pump is highly unlikely to be the direct cause.