IGNORED

Real Fairlady Z432 Magnesium Wheels????

oemz

Yes

At begining, when i started to like 240zs it was normal to see all of them (Portuguese 240z cars) with that wheels. Them i start to study and see the diferences between Europe, USA and Japan market, and they were notorius.

All the cars, ordered by Entreposto Nissan Dealer at the time had that wheels, and they were standard here in Portugal.

All cars has 5 wheels per car, it means one was at the trunk.

I bought a set of Konig rewing to change them, to look diferent, but at the end, i let it stay with the original ones, i think it suits better

Hope you like the pictures.

Filipe

post-14342-1415080568986_thumb.jpg

post-14342-14150805690149_thumb.jpg

post-14342-14150805690529_thumb.jpg

post-14342-14150805691123_thumb.jpg

Was that same wheel design offered in a material other than magnesium? If so is there an obvious difference besides the weight? Also, I was under them impression that magnesium wheels were for racing only since they could catch on fire and that they've even been banned from some forms of racing for that very reason. Perhaps some countries have less restrictive rules and have no problem with using them on the street?

Hope you like the pictures.

Filipe

Very much...the wheels with the unpainted front and rear spoilers give a your car a unique look.

They look great on any 240z car

Filipe

Indeed they do! It's cool that your car came with them!

Gary S.

Logging in from a very snowy Sapporo here ( Happy New Year all )........

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this particular set of wheels may well be a fair bit younger than the vendor realises.......

First thing I want to point out is the lack of a cast-in panel on the flat section of the hub area just outside the wheel bolt holes. On the original Kobe Seiko wheels that were fitted as OEM equipment on the Fairlady Z432 models this cast-in panel would have carried some dating numbers. I'm far far away from my home computer at the moment so I can't provide example pics, but the lack of such a panel on these wheels perhaps points to them being somewhat later than the 69~73 period of manufacture.

On the other hand, the panel is a bit of an eyesore on such a clean wheel design, and I have seen examples where it was machined off completely. The other exception are the wheels that were used by Nissan's works rally team as front pairs in snow rallies ( the only time when the Kobe Seiko works 'Rally' mags - which were a different, but similar casting to the "432" mags, and which usually came in 6j and 7j x 14 rather than the 5.5j x 14 of the "432" mags - were seen being mixed with the "432" mags on the same cars..... ) but these were a different casting again - having no facility for the centre cap - and would be extremely unlikely to turn up in such good condition.

Kobe Seiko did actually sell this design of wheel well into the late Seventies, calling them 'MAGLLOY', but with a slightly modified casting pattern and very noticeable lettering cast into the outer rim area. I've seen a couple of sets of these with the lettering machined off, being sold as "432" mags....

Some years ago now there were a couple of batches of replicas made in Japan, in both magnesium and aluminium, and in both the "432" style and the works "Rally" mag design. These were made without the cast-in number panel too. There are a few sets of these fitted to concours-level 432s in Japan, and I would not rule out the possibility that this set could be from that kind of source.

Lovely wheels, and they usually change hands for pretty healthy sums - whether replicas or not. Hope this set ends up on a car that will show them off to their full effect!

Cheers,

Alan T.

Hi

Today, i took some pictures of my car and the 2 spare wheels that i have right now.

I can see that the wheels that my car has right now, has some mark, but unreadble. The spare one that i bought weeks ago, we can see clear what is shoe there, but I don`t understand it`s meaning.

THE WORDS are

RW ? ? A 060 - Can anyone tell what that means?

Please see the pictures

post-14342-14150805702686_thumb.jpg

post-14342-14150805703115_thumb.jpg

post-14342-1415080570351_thumb.jpg

post-14342-14150805703903_thumb.jpg

Hi

Today, i took some pictures of my car and the 2 spare wheels that i have right now.

I can see that the wheels that my car has right now, has some mark, but unreadble. The spare one that i bought weeks ago, we can see clear what is shoe there, but I don`t understand it`s meaning.

THE WORDS are

RW ? ? A 060 - Can anyone tell what that means?

Please see the pictures

Happy new year to all of you , good story Alan , here a picture of the works rally wheel with the different hole patern , this is a aluminim one , but the magnesium ones are a bit different

post-11416-141508057413_thumb.jpg

Hi Alan,I flew to London and had a good time with Len, but you are in Japan.(Thank you for the Christmas card)

Filipe, yours are the same about numbering of the wheels.Different numbers but same style of typing.

Here is mine, please let me show all of the numbers.

RMW- 221 9J

RMW- 222 9J

RMW- 223 9J

RMW- 224 9J

RMW- 225 9J

Some are very hard to read, but some are easy. My method is like this,

easy to read 221, 222, 225, then what else are they remaining? Then your eyes can tell step by step they are 223, 224. I am sure for this.

How about " RMW " ? I guess that is "Racing Magnesium Wheel" is not it?

And " 9J " is, must be OCT 1969 ( J is 10th from the beginning of the alphabet). What do you think of this?

Here is a link of Mr.Watanabe he did great research of numbering of Z432 wheel.

http://www.geocities.jp/ps30diy/shokai/mag.html

Like Alan said, there are various styles of typing numbers.

Interesting!

kats

post-3193-14150805746877_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150805747535_thumb.jpg

Here is another picture of the 'rally' wheel. It is 7J if I am not mistaken (will check tomorrow), which is period and genuine Nissan issue (as per Monte cars). I will take picture of what I belive is the 432 (5.5J) wheel from 1969 240Z show car. Neither of those wheels have provision for center cap or any cast marks or numbers stamp on them.

m

DSC09877Small.jpg

• 6 months later...
Kobe Seiko did actually sell this design of wheel well into the late Seventies, calling them 'MAGLLOY', but with a slightly modified casting pattern and very noticeable lettering cast into the outer rim area. I've seen a couple of sets of these with the lettering machined off, being sold as "432" mags....

Well, while reading this thread when it was written, I kept what Alan had said above in my mind. Found a pair new that were for sale on Yahoo Japan and I thought some people would like to have a look it illustrate what Alan was talking about. Cast lettering easily seen on the front of the wheel.

Regards

Ian

post-6856-14150807838136_thumb.jpg

post-6856-14150807838394_thumb.jpg

post-6856-14150807838629_thumb.jpg

Well, while reading this thread when it was written, I kept what Alan had said above in my mind. Found a pair new that were for sale on Yahoo Japan and I thought some people would like to have a look it illustrate what Alan was talking about. Cast lettering easily seen on the front of the wheel.

Regards

Ian

I have noticed that listing on Yahoo Auction.

Please have a look at difference with these pictures. 1st. picture is a Genuine Nissan one. 2nd one is replica alloy one made by Rose Auto in Japan in early 90s. (360000 Yen for a set of 5! back then) 3rd one is Maglloy wheel, and 4th one is Rally wheel replica made in Japan in early 90s' in Japan as well. Only 5.5J Ones that were optional for Z432 had center cap mouting ears.

Esprist

post-16910-14150807838798_thumb.jpg

post-16910-14150807839338_thumb.jpg

post-16910-14150807839493_thumb.jpg

post-16910-14150807839582_thumb.jpg

Edited by esprist