IGNORED

Spindle Pin Rubber Washers

I've been doing a bunch of suspension work to my 77 this off-season and part of that work has been on my rear corners.

While I was poking around at MSA putting together an order, I saw these things they called "Spindle Pin Rubber Washers".

Description from their website MSA Spindle Pin Rubber Washer:

The spindle pin rubber washer attaches to each end of the spindle pin between the metal washer and the control arm to seal out dust and debris. These washers are only used with factory rubber bushings. Four required and they’re sold individually.

There was no such washer on my car when I took it apart, but since I was placing an order anyway, I bought four.

Question is, since they are asymmetric, how are they supposed to be installed? Here's a pic showing the two sides. One side is beveled, and the other side is flat:

P1050407_zps0b44b919.jpg

And there's no metal backer inside. All rubber:

P1050401_zpsf2f508a4.jpg

And here's how I think it should go on. With the beveled side towards the bushing:

P1050405_zps9b35de26.jpg

Anyone dealt with these before? I don't think I've ever seen them before.

The camfer on the inside matches the angle on the end of the spindle pin. What's the mystery? Once both sides are together and centered, those rubbers just provide dust and moisture protection. I agree the ID seems to slip right over the spindle pin, but once the outer washer is on there, it will be fine.

Now that I think of it, none of the stocker rubber washers I've taken out of there looked like that. They were simply flat on both sides. And hard, and cracked, and darn near useless....

Actually, the ID of the rubber washer is a bit larger than the spindle pin. It's just about the OD of the metal cylinder running through the middle of the bushings. As a matter of fact, in the pic I've fitted it over the little stub of cylinder sticking out of the bushing with the beveled side towards the bushing.

I agree in that it probably doesn't matter a whole bunch. Especially since I've never even seen one of these things before. They've always been removed from any Z I've had contact with, and the universe hasn't imploded. They can't be that important. I was just figuring that since I plan for these things to never again ever see the light of day, I might as well get them on right. LOL

The rubber washer should fit over the metal cylinder of the rubber bushing. That cylinder will be clamped against the hub by the thick metal washer locking it into position. I think the rubber washer is a dust cover and might be more cosmetic than practicle.

Why is the inside chamfered? I can't think of any reason, maybe to compensate for any conical form of the rubber in the bush. Some rubbers have a cone shape and extends to the outer section of the inner cylinder. I hope Im explaining that right.

Chas

My thoughts as well. I was thinking the bevel would leave room for inconsistencies in the rubber portion of the bushing. That's how I installed that one for the pic. I guess I'll just do them like that and call it a day.

So I get extra points at the concourse by virtue of actually having these washers? :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some.

With just the nut removed (showing metal and rubber washers):

post-29189-14150827898334_thumb.jpg

Flat side of rubber washer outwards; fits snugly over the bushing inner metal just like yours:

post-29189-14150827899045_thumb.jpg

And the washer pulled away showing the bevel on the inside:

post-29189-1415082789967_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

No problem!

Say, have you put everything back together yet? I'm having the issue that when I tighten up the spindle pin nuts, the control arm locks down so tightly to the strut assembly that the only articulation between the parts is what's allowed by the rubber bushing deflecting. I know not to fully torque the spindle pin nuts until the suspension is back on the ground at normal ride height, but even then it seems like the parts are going to be too bound up for normal suspension travel. It seems like two bad things could happen if I reinstall this way:

1) the wheel rate will go way up

2) the bushing will fail prematurely

Shouldn't the spindle pin act like a hinge pin that the control arm and strut rotate around? This is more or less what it felt like when I removed the parts, although they were old and worn and the bushings were cracked.

Edited by bacarl