IGNORED

Console repair: How to patch holes?

johncdeere

Thanks, I have been using "Superglue" for the harder plastics like interior panels, ash trays, face plates.

I used a special glue that's just for plastic to fix the housing that covers the clip that the rear-view mirror attaches to and it worked quite well. I think this is what I used:

http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MT&Product_Code=82565-F

• 2 years later...

This is a good old thread on plastic repairs... I'm glad that I used the "search" feature - It's simply incredible the amount of knowledge collected here!

To the point - Are there any 'updates' here? I just acquired my second 240Z (mfg 2-71)with the intentions of parting it out to support my habit with #1 (5-72), but, and I say this without a thorough inspection, it may be too nice to do that to... I will get under it soon to draw a final conclusion.

So, today I dug through a box of stuff that came with it, and found the ash tray assembly. Unfortunately broken, but only in two pieces, and it's all there. It has residue of a previous gluing attempt which can easily be removed to make a really tight fit for repair with just light clamping. The repair is a relatively easy one compared to many others that I've done, but my question is this: "What repair compound do y'all recommend?"

I was going to simply J-B Weld & clamp it, but after reading these threads, I think that there are maybe some better options. What results have been obtained since this thread ended in late 2004?

Has anyone ever used the Permatex dash repair kit? I have one out in the garage that I never used (comes with texture sheets, a little heater, dyes, some kinda compound, etc.). Is that a possibility, or is there something better such as the products mentioned earlier in the thread? I was thinking that whatever I end up using will likely get a patch piece on the bottom with J-B to reinforce it from future breakage.

What are your thoughts & suggestions? I'll attach a couple pictures so that you can see what I am dealing with.

post-9676-14150800252492_thumb.jpg