IGNORED

Homeboyx's 280z Thread

Homeboyx

Back Story:

Scowering(?) through CL for a couple of months and researching different types of sporty vehicles in hopes of one day getting my hands on one but yet had no idea on what car specifically I ended up with a list. I was to get either a 240sx, a Cressida, a RX-7, a Celica Supra, a Miata, a S30Z, a S130Z, or an early model Z31.

For those of you still wondering what won...

SAM_0267_zps7761b8c4.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Car:

1976 Datsun 280z (1 year shy of being SMOG Exempt!! :( )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Purchase:

I saw it last week on CL for a pretty small chunk of change and thought it wouldn't hurt to check it out. So I did.. and this is what I saw. ETA: 9am

IMG_1649_zps6dd8488e.jpg

IMG_1648_zpsd2e9ff5c.jpg

Pretty good looking car for less than I paid for my GS right!? (Forgot to take pics of it without the car cover :ohgeez:)

The catch?

IMG_1653_zpsfe347b07.jpg

Now... the regular joe schmoe would've ran far, far away from it as soon as he laid his eyes upon that. But being the optimistic SOB that I am I went ahead and jacked up the car to scope out the damage underneath so I could kill all doubts I had about it. This is what I saw...

Driver's side.. looks ok..

IMG_1433_zps60890943.jpg

That is NOT a lamp you're looking at :ohgeez:

IMG_1434_zps53b1beff.jpg

Let there be light!

IMG_1432_zps3205de9c.jpg

Hmm...

IMG_1436_zps25c99cae.jpg

Let's look at the other side shall we..

Ehh... that's normal right?

IMG_1437_zps53bb0432.jpg

IMG_1438_zps00b918de.jpg

Gnarly sway bar bolt bend..

IMG_1439_zps9f436cd3.jpg

Strut rod tried to make a emergency U-turn, lower arm definitely took a crap..

IMG_1440_zps51f67465.jpg

So at this point I am looking all up and down the car for body damage. To my utter shock, everything else is A-OK!

- Full black interior [Check]

- Engine runs (Without hesitation!) [Check]

- Leaks (Minimal)

- Manual transmission [Check]

Crappy picture, but nonetheless.. 4 TO THE FLOOR!

SAM_0272_zpse30ba158.jpg

So I gamble my way to from his $400 to $325, and he bit the hook. So off I go to U-haul.. ETA: 10:30am

I spend 2-3 hours driving to countless U-hauls trying to find a damn car dolly so I can get this over with, and I finally do! ETA: 1:30pm

I get back to PO's house and pay the guy immediately and in return I received..

Few of the service records.. I wonder what's in the torn brown envelope. :D

0101131918_zpsd70ee381.jpg

And..

0101131917_zpsec618b2e.jpg

Along with the pink slip of course!

And then the question dawned upon me, HOW IN THE WORLD AM I GOING TO GET IT UP ON THE DOLLY!? :ohgeez:

After COUNTLESS hours (which seemed like days), countless curse words and ALOT of ingenuity, I managed to get 'er up there. ETA: 6:30pm

So after all of that, the PO forgot to sign the the pinkslip! So I waited 15 minutes for him to come back home (he had left), which turned to 20... which turned to 30... at this point I'm freezing my arse off, and filled with grease/dirt. He finally arrives an hour later gets it signed and off I go! ETA: 8:30pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Her New Home:

The next day she is introduced to her fellow companion, a face to face introduction was in order...

SAM_0203_zps732ec41a.jpg

Part of the damage.. (I liked the wheels too!! :( )

SAM_0270_zps2319602b.jpg

As she sits as of last week..

SAM_0269_zpse9634fda.jpg

That'll buff right out right? ...RIGHT?!

SAM_0268_zpsf3d6495e.jpg

Fun picture

SAM_0264_zps6107a132.jpg

Does anyone know who makes these wheels btw? Model? :D

SAM_0265_zps64001e51.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Plan? To fix the damage and get her back on the road! After that, who knows..

So I finally had the time to work on it..

SAM_0276_zps5c531155.jpg

SAM_0279_zpsd79af9bf.jpg

Top view..

SAM_0282_zps2335b23e.jpg

SAM_0283_zps369a92f8.jpg

Ehh...

SAM_0281_zpsa2551e03.jpg

Strut rod got it good!

SAM_0280_zps8625b5cf.jpg

Half way done

SAM_0286_zps8069aecf.jpg

Look ma', no shock tower damage!

SAM_0284_zpsaa9ede80.jpg

Tie rod end being a -itch to take out.. thus the salute.

SAM_0285_zps40eaa86a.jpg

Done.. (crappy cell pic)

0101131700_zps2f38c264.jpg

Is it just me.. or is this supposed to be straight(er)?

0101131659_zpsc7631dfd.jpg

Damage, FAST & FURIOUS STYLE yO!

SAM_0278_zps30eb31cd.jpg

Not bad eh? :D

SAM_0277_zpsf7b7fe0d.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next up..

I'll try to make a jy run in the next few weeks and see if I can find a good rack since there is no inner tie rods on these. :(

Edited by Homeboyx

• 2 weeks later...

Here.. we.. GO!

So I finally bring you some updates.

Got my hands on the last piece of the puzzle I needed, I think..

Thumbs up for a straight Inner tie rod! Woot! Woot!

Notice the gnarly purple (black?) bumps on my dumb from when I smashed just the tip of the finger with the BFH!

SAM_0372_zps42e469c6.jpg

Gloves? AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FO DAT!

Purrty good I'd say...

SAM_0373_zps45098f3e.jpg

SAM_0374_zps32f103f7.jpg

MUCH better..

SAM_0375_zps71331713.jpg

What's left to do..

SAM_0376_zps8744c463.jpg

And I have to install the front sway bar I brought from the JY along with the rear one I disconnected among some other misc. stuff.. :(

Now that I had the whole car uncovered I remember to take some pics of the interior! Finally.. :D

Durrty beast..

SAM_0377_zpsd48b1ca4.jpg

SAM_0378_zps8301928c.jpg

SAM_0379_zps20372fc8.jpg

Not sure if I should install this or not..

SAM_0380_zps58c6c2c7.jpg

Aaand I'm not sure I like this.. I hate that it's screwed in! :mad:

SAM_0381_zps4e279e6a.jpg

And that's it for today folks!

It looks like tomorrow is the day the front wheels hit the ground finally. :D

For now I just want to drive this thing. haha I am a bit leaning towards going the L28ET(T) way.. but that's probably not going to become reality until this engine blows or something. I would like to go RB, but with California being.. well California, the DMV and SMOG station is definitely going to give me a lot of **** since '76 is the first year they dropped the smog exemptions! :(

The wheel looks like Appliance mesh, dealer installed option. Should be a lot still around from upgrades to Panasports or something. Maybe somebody will sell just one. There was a thread last week from somebody who made them all shiny, check that. That's a lot of car for 350.

Thanks for the heads up Stanley.

----------------------------------------------------------------

So... car is still not on the ground! :mad:

I managed to install the "new" front sway bar.. it was actually more difficult that it seemed, weird.

So I was trying to remove the tie rod end so I can screw on to the inner tie rod easier and whacked it a few times. Would not come out. So I said screw it and do it the slower way, wrench it in slowy but surely. After that I tightened the castle nut up nice and snugly, when installing the cotter pin I noticed that it wouldn't go through all the way! The castle nut was kinda smashed and wouldn't let it go through. So I thought to myself, "Ok, I'll just replace it with the old, good looking one and call it a day." Boy was I wrong.. Once I removed the beat up and crummy castle nut, the good castle nut wouldn't catch on the threads! :mad:

So after fiddling with it and nothing was happening, I decided re-thread it.. only to find out that I don't have a die big enough for that damn stud. So I had to buy a new tie rod after all... so I pretty much said "fukitol" and whipped out the MBFH and finally got it out. I called a couple of places to see where I can get it by today (part must be ordered :ohgeez:), and finally found a place. I get my arse over there and order it. Headed back home, waited an hour and a half and went back to pick up the part. At this time it's already 5:30pm. So I get there only to find out the guy didn't order the right one! When he found the right part it the price changed, instead of being $14 it was now $40! FOR A TIE ROD END?! Long story short I took my refund.. :ohgeez:

So now I'll have to wait until the weekend comes so I can lay my hands on the car again.. and I still have to order the part from somewhere else.. sigh*

Smashed castle nut

SAM_0385_zps46bf00cc.jpg

Left- JY tie rod

Right- Old bent tie rod

SAM_0386_zps34100909.jpg

How it sits now.. SO CLOSE!

SAM_0382_zps8afc3c98.jpg

So.. until the weekend it is.. :(

Sucks! I'm not very good in English, but before installing the tie rod end ( wheel side ) and putting the crown nut on, it's best to make sure the inside of the parts ( where the wheeld side tie rod joint goes in ) is clean, and warm it up with a gas torch, and keep the tie rod part cold, then you put it in without hassle, let it cool down, and then put the crown nut on ( make sure the thread is smooth before putting it on ). I wrecked alot of these in the past, by doing it the wrong way. Heat is your best friend in these jobs :)