Jump to content

Leaderboard

  1. SteveJ

    SteveJ

    Members


    • Points

      2

    • Posts

      8,503


  2. khughes

    khughes

    Members


    • Points

      1

    • Posts

      1,214


  3. Joseph@TheZStore

    • Points

      1

    • Posts

      102


  4. Zed Head

    Zed Head

    Members


    • Points

      1

    • Posts

      17,059


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 09/28/2022 in Posts

  1. If you cut it with a hacksaw then a hand file should finish it off. We're all so surrounded by power tools now, especially those with the new high power batteries, that the old basic human-powered hand tools often get forgotten. The hacksaw was the right first choice. Minimal heat, not too much work.
    1 point
  2. So it takes weight to make it happen or the suspension in a certain position. That will narrow the possibilities
    1 point
  3. Okay, I made a short video to demonstrate.
    1 point
  4. Thank you Kent. By the way you described it, and with the springs you mentioned, I believe you'll be very happy with the range on these cartridges. Be extra cautious in regards to overheating the struts, and if you've not done anything similar before, it might be worth checking with a technician or machine shop who has. The key things are a sharp wheel, level cuts, and cooling it down often. Heat could really screw up what is in that cartridge just a few mm away. Let us know if you have any issues.
    1 point
  5. For me, it is. Everything I have is stock parts. Spectrum of different years, but all stock. I'd be happy to look into other systems, but I don't have anything here. It all started for me wondering what they did in 78 to allow the removal of the ballast resistor. And the answer is they started including current limiting inside the module in 78. Then av8ferg wanted to be able to mount two different style modules (ZX matchbox and GM HEI) on his car and be able to swap between the two if one of them failed. But when he tried it, he noticed a timing difference between the two. So I thought it might be interesting to investigate that. That's how I got here. I've been poking around inside the stock modules for some time now but figured nobody (other than me) really cared, so I didn't post about it.
    1 point
  6. It's a good starting point since that's what most people here are running, but it would be interesting to learn more about ignition for the coil on plug systems. Just from talking with @Captain Obvious on the phone and looking at some videos he suggested, I was able to detect a potential issue with my 240Z by using my oscilloscope. The scope indicated there could be some extra arcing (having to jump more than the gap between the rotor & cap and spark gap) at the firing line of the spark at different cylinders. When I looked at the cap, wires, and coil, I found significant corrosion at the coil. Before changing the coil and wires (yellow wire is the voltage at the negative post of the coil): After the coil and wires were replaced (again, yellow trace): Next up is for me to get a current probe for my scope so I can chart the current limiting effects of some of the ignition systems.
    1 point
  7. Thanks @[email protected] for the confirmation that they are the correct inserts (phew!), your advice and appreciate you asking around on the cutting/cooling for this situation.. it looks like that is my best option (and thank goodness they have the nubs to grind down to give me those needed few mm's!) Your 100% correct in that the history of modification done on these struts are entirely unknown, and i certainly don't see it as a fitment issue that would apply to anyone else's situation. I did do some research prior to confirm they were standard length (and there is certainly no sign of cutting either, on the tube or the top threads ), but having not modified them myself i can only guess! There was limited option in adjustable standard length shock inserts (i understood the GC option to be for sectioned struts), and i am still very grateful that you have developed this option for us! I am also very thankful for the information and support both yourself and Lee from Koni has added in this thread - its a rare opportunity and part of the reason i went down this road. as a side note - The car is not for track, just trying to clean up and mildly upgrade what i can to enhance it's on-road personality.. The GC kit came to me second hand with the tokico's and 300+ lb/in springs, it had clearly been track focused and unsuitable for my needs (i never ran them this way, just started rebuilding them when i got them). On advice from GC, i have new 150/175 lb/in springs going in to try and keep things within a comfortable range of standard, hopefully this suits the intended Koni shock performance curve.. i am pretty sure i will be happy with them once its all together! Thanks Kent
    1 point

Announcements



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.