IGNORED

Starting a motor that has been sitting

drunkenmaster

Hey guys,

Im selling my L28ET setup as a few of you know and I want to make sure its running for the next owner. The L28E ran fine when I bought it around 6 monthes ago but the battery was flat and I havent started it since as i planned to rebuild it anyway.

I know this isnt a huge deal as some of you guys pick up motors that havent been used for several years, but is there any steps i should go through before I charge up a battery and fire her up?

Remove the rocker and oil the head etc?

Pull the plugs and a couple of squirts of WD40 into the bores will help get things moving again.

When I start a rebuilt motor for the first time I pull the HT leed off the coil and turn it over a few times to build up oil pressure. :geek:

Steve

while we are on the topic, whats considered a good oil weight for a 20 year old L28E ?

Its not exactly a tight high revving screamer.

I was thinking a 10-30W but i have also heard that maybe using a synthetic on an older motor like this wouldnt be advisable as it would leak past the seals??

Thanks

Originally posted by drunkenmaster

I was thinking a 10-30W but i have also heard that maybe using a synthetic on an older motor like this wouldnt be advisable as it would leak past the seals??

Synthetic : I've heard the same thing about old engines in general. From most people i've heard that you shouldn't use synthetic unless you start using it right after the break-in after a rebuild (using regular oil during the break-in). Read something about some oils having a detergent in them that loosens up oil gunk that collected over the years and lets it float around and cause trouble clogging stuff up!

when the oiling of the engine is what you want to achieve, I normally pull the plugs and squirt engine oil in each of the bores let it sit fo about 15 minutes or so the oil moves around the edge of the piston, use this time to prime the carbs and fuel system using an electric pump on the engine side of the engine driven fuel pump when the fuel filter is full of fuel continue pumping for 20 seconds. restore the fuel plumbing to normal check the time. Crank the engine for 5 seconds, install the plugs. Quick scan of the engine for tools and disconnected bits all good fire it up. all being equal you should have arunning engine in seconds.

my 2c

Steve :classic: