IGNORED

Rear transverse link (A-arm) and snowflake wheel/tire

KEINsm

Originally posted by KEINsm

As you saw in the subject line, I am in immediate need of a left rear transverse link (A-arm) and a snowflake wheel with any tire.

I have a '71 240Z so I will take whatever fits my car.

Thanks for the help!!!

If you will look carefully, you will see that the A-Arms are the same on both sides of your 71 Z. One is simply turned upside down from the other side. Any A-Arm from 70 thru 73 (AT LEAST) will be the same as on your car.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for that invaluable info.

Would anybody know what the part which connects between the link and the axle is called? I searched everywhere in a couple repair manuals without an answer.

Thanks.

I almost forgot to ask.

Does anybody know if the '77 280ZX transverse link fits my car?

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for that invaluable info.

Would anybody know what the part which connects between the link and the axle is called? I searched everywhere in a couple repair manuals without an answer.

Thanks.

I'm not sure I understand which part you are referring to. There is a "spindle pin" which connects the "A-Arm" to the "Strut housing". The Strut Housing contains both the "strut cartridge" and the "stub axle". The stub axle is what you bolt the halfshaft onto to provide drive to the wheel.

Hopefully it is just the spindle pin and the transverse link that are damaged.

Thanks again for all the info.

I am new to Z's in general so please excuse my ignorance. I am sure that was broken in half was the spindle pin. It was dark so I was not able to get a clear picture burned in my head. (And the vagueness of the repair manuals didn't help as well)

Now I am sure that what I need is the transverse link and the spindle pin. (Also the 6-spoke wheel w/ or w/o tire)

I contacted a local 280Z owner who was parting out his car. Until I can 100% confirm the parts compatibility, I'll have to ask the rest of you Z owners for help.

Now I am sure that what I need is the transverse link and the spindle pin. (Also the 6-spoke wheel w/ or w/o tire)

I contacted a local 280Z owner who was parting out his car. Until I can 100% confirm the parts compatibility, I'll have to ask the rest of you Z owners for help.

It's all good. :classic:

If you hit something hard enough to bust the spindle pin, examine the Strut housing (contains the stub axle, axle bearings, and strut cartridge) VERY carefully to ensure that it was not damaged. These are very critical parts of your suspension. Failure at speed can be catastrophic. (even more than you experienced tonight!)

I am in Riverside, CA.

I got a really good look at the car today. Looks like I'll need both the spindle pin for the left rear (driver's side) and the A-arm.

I really want to get these parts by Tuesday if possible.

If you have both or either in SoCal, please contact me.

I can also use the 6-spoke wheel too.

I told Chloe that if I cannot get the parts locally by then I would have to get it from her.

Thanks again for all your help!

Are you a member of GROUPZ or Empire Z or SOCALZ? You can easily find these parts if you can connect with some of these people. You can get the spindle pins from MSA down in Orange. Their prices are very fair. The control arm takes about 4 1/2 minutes to get off the car and about 4 1/2 hours to seperate from the strut housing. Post this to the GROUPZSCC forum and you can find one easily right there. Tony D probably has 40.

steve77

! ! !

4 1/2 hours to separate from the strut!? I know you're exaggerating, but what is the problem with doing that?

I found the name (or the lack thereof) of the part that broke in half. It was actually a nameless part connected to the bottom of the strut. This part is connected by the spindle pin to the control arm.