IGNORED

What to do...

zep

I have the chance to buy a 240z here in New Zealand which is finally within my budget. Yay!

The thing is, the man who has it now, compleatly dismanteled the entire car to a state in which it is a chassis sitting on the ground of his garage with no glass, doors bonnet on it at all. He has every bit for it, and all the bolts and stuff and in numbered bags with the number assignment typed up on the computer.

What I need to know, is how hard would it be to put this car back together, its in pretty good nick, and so if it's not too hard, i'd like to give it a go. Needs new shocks and brake bits, but apart from that, it's all good.

I am no a mechanic nor do I have all that much mechanical experience apart from panels and stuff. I know that I'd need someone to wire everything back up and get the brake lines and stuff going, but apart from that, what do you guys think, worth the effort?

thanks heaps

zep

If he has done a good job marking out all the parts and nuts and bolts, it shouldn't be too hard to finish it off. Of course, you're gonna need a good set of basic hand tools to do the job.

One good thing about it, you won't find any hidden rust issues with the car since it's in already torn apart and everything can be seen. And since it's already dismantled, painting it will be a breeze...

One caution however, if it looks as if he hasn't done a good job keeping track of all the little stuff you ight want to think about it. Missing pieces that have to be replaced can add up to big bucks when you are trying to do the final assembly.

If you do decide to tackle this project, you will know the car inside and out and all it's peculiarities. By the time you finish you will also have a fair bit of mechanical experience under your belt as well.

It's an intimidating job to undertake when you aren't sure what you are doing, especially difficult if you aren't sure if all the pieces are there. You might want to ask someone who knows these cars to take a look at it with you just to see if everything seems to be there.

Not as many Z enthusiasts in your area, but we do have a few members here that might be willing to lend a helping hand looking it over. And, this site and its members can answer nearly any question or come up with a solution to any problem you might have....

So, if you've got plenty of time and are in no hurry to drive it since it might take anywhere from a few months to a year or more, go for it.

Mmmm... doors and bonnet and glass will cost thousands of dollars.

Just something to think about... do you have an income, cos it wont be as cheap as a gem to build up.

I really do suggest making a list of things you dont have, and then having estimated guesses at it all, cos I really think that money will be the deciding factor.......

Alfadog: I meant that the windows and doors were not attached to the chassis, they are there.

The the guy has everything for the car, the only part missing that he knew about was the clutch pedal as his son used it in turning his 240z race car from auto to manual.

Is a Z a hard car to wire up?

his son took it apart and labeled all the bits.

but anywhoo, ive decided that I can't do this. Main reason being is that I have no where to put the darn thing... ah well, maybe when i'm a bit older..

The car you describe, Zep, is what I call a "basket case" because all the parts come in a basket! I went out to find this example of what I have dealt with many times. http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/lotus/1055121110/1055121110pp.htm

When you look at a basket case, be aware that no matter how complete it all looks, parts will be missing. Many, many nuts and bolts will be missing. Without some sort of record of how the car came apart, you will never be sure how well it will go back together. The computer list you describe is nice, but don't kid yourself into thinking there won't be problems. Obviously, the car came apart for some significant reason and you can bet that the process of disassembling the car damaged some things. This is a restoration / reconstruction project - very long term and costly. So costly, that it is easily half as cheap to buy an assembled car in poor condition. Taking the car apart decreased it's value by 75% to the point that it is now far more valuable as parts - chassis included.

Datsun Z's, on the grand scale of things, are pretty easy cars to work on and assemble. There is one hell of a lot of documentation available to help assemble a completely dismanteled car. And get it running. A Z would make a great candidate for a learning car. With the right frame of mind, one could find great rewards from such an immense project.

I don't blame you for passing on this one. Just thought I would share some personal experiences.

I agree with Z Kid, let us know, even though I've recently bought my own new old car, there was another guy from NZ not so long ago who was in search of a 240Z, as I'm sure you know in NZ they're a rare find... I know if I had the moolah I'd find a way to get it, regardless of it's unknown completion ability.

Also, I see you have a website devoted to older cars, have you got plans for it to be like an online car magazine or something?

(09)4805093 Last I heard, he had a complete 240z (looks nice but on closer inspection, quite some surface rust, no wof, reg on hold), $9000 NZD, and the one in parts, $4000 NZD.

Oldschool is, well I dunno what it's going to turn into. Hopefully a community of people with older cars interested in helping each other, cruises and other events and things like that. Any suggestions welcome.