IGNORED

Bumping noise

1 Bravo 6

G'Day Gav,

You suggest the diff mount ????? but the noise is Definitely coming from the region of the right rear suspension. Do you think a shot diff mount noise would "TRAVEL" and appear to come from the rear right ???????????????

Billcap,

I didn't realise that I had not been more specific till I reread my first post.

It sounds for all the world like a buggered shock absorber but I've just recently replaced all four.

When does the noise occur ???

Every time the rear right tyre hits a good bump.

Rick.

I'm not sure rick I had a clutch problem for a long time that i thought was a gearbox mount as it happened downgearing and would cause a shudder been told you can't get them anymore I bought a good second hand unit.

got under the car went to the effort of pulling her out and discovered the one in there was near perfect.

It could possibly travel have you checked for playing in the driveshaft there bolted on tight arn't they?

You've made sure the top of the struts is tight at the shock tower also?

I've never replaced a set of struts myself so i don't know if you can muck anything up yet :).

have you jacked the car up and tried for play with the wheel it self does it stay firm if u try move it side to side. If there was any way you could recreate the noise I think it might help i'm all outta ideas but.

:tapemouth :tapemouth :tapemouth

G'Day again Gav,

Mate, I've watched the mechanic trying to wobble the wheel, use a long screw driver to try levering various parts and I've even taken her back to Pedders and asked them to put the car on their shock absorber tester but STILL can't find where the bloody noise is coming from.

I'll have a close look at the rear gear box mount.

Talk about frustration. I'd be tearing my hair out if I wasn't so concious of my ever enlarging bald spot.

Thanks to EVERYONE for your input.

Oh, yes,-----to add insult to injury, the battery kept losing charge. After testing the battery and finding it o.k. I checked out the regulator. OOOOHHHH, what a mess !!!!!! CORROSION !!! oh well, there goes another original part.

Rick.

:cry::(:cry::(

No, mate, I thought of that. Removed the spare and tools, took her out and the noise was still there.

I've crawled into the rear on my back and pushed and shoved the hatch with out luck. (No mean feat when you're 60 going on 25 and have a dicky back).

I'm just about at my wits end on this one. It's got me STUMPED.

Rick.

Smilies are handy but I wish there was one for FRUSTRATED !!!!!!!

Have you ever had the gas tank out? Since you've eliminated most everything else, could it be the tank straps are loose? Or, if the tank was out, were the small pads on the top of the tank OK?

Perhaps the cushion pads have detiorated and the tank is moving inside the tank straps?

Only other things I can think of is the exhaust hitting the diff crossmember or the diff itself and it only sounds like it's coming from the other side by transferring through the chassis....

One other off the wall idea... the mounting bolt on the bumper end?

Guess the frustrated smilie would be a combination of these.........:cross-eye :tapemouth

In a Z that I owned a few years back, I had a noise that occured when I drove over a rough railroad crossing. I would hear a kind of "Thump and Rattle" that turned out to be the spring-type support hanger for the right-side Hand brake cable (from the "U-shaped bracket to the right rear brake assembly) being a bit stretched out and allowing the cable to hit other parts of the car when the suspension was compressed on that side of the car.

Yes Keith, :tapemouth would certainly be in any combination depicting frustration.

Mate, I have had the tank out but it's well secured by the straps.

Gavin suggested the diff mount and that appears to be o.k.

Bumper mounting bolts are tight and the exhaust system checks out o.k.

Carl, that's something I haven't checked out. Didn't occur to me.

I'll have a gander at it and get back to you tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

Rick.

• 1 year later...

Did Rick ever find the cause of the rattle? I have the exact same noise going over bumps. There is a metalic thump followed by rattling coming from the right rear strut tower. The noise started after I installed Arizon Z springs with Tokico HP shocks. I did the exact same suspension on my V8 240Z and have had no problems for three years.

Miles

Did Rick ever find the cause of the rattle? I have the exact same noise going over bumps. There is a metalic thump followed by rattling coming from the right rear strut tower. The noise started after I installed Arizona Z springs with Tokico HP shocks. I did the exact same suspension on my V8 240Z and have had no problems for three years.

Miles

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old post, but it just kind of "ended". I have a very similar sounding problem in my 77. If I hit a sharp bump like a pothole or the lip of a drive way or something like that it makes a terrible thump and then a kind of resonate rattle. It sounds like something is contacting the body but after searching and searching I can't figure out what. With the car on a lift I can't move any of the suspension parts with a prybar and there are new urathane mustache bar bushings installed. Did 1 bravo 6 have any luck? Anyone ever heard of a front diff mount making noise over bumps? I can't move it by hand but I know that doesn't mean its not broke. Also, I've checked the exhaust and the rear hatch both seem to be O.K.

Again, sorry for dragging up ancient history but any help would be highly appreciated.