IGNORED

Rally du Bandama 1973

Z-point

I think I need to sleep too - I'm obviously falling into too many holes in this story!

The black and white photo is supposedly of Raudet & Sausset on the 1972 Bandama. I don't have any info that points to that car being ex-Works ( which is the main point that interests me ).

I have a report of the 1974 Bandama that says that Mehta and Billstam were in an ex-Works ( Safari? ) Z - starting no.7 - and registered TKS 33 SA 4081 ( interesting car, that one ).

Let's look into it further when we are wide awake.

Alan T.

I don't know that it makes any difference, but on the blue car, notice the rubber hold downs on the hood? Didn't the Works cars use hood pins? These look to be the "rubber bungee" type you see on a lot of commercial cargo boxes although they are mounted in almost the same spot as the factory hood pins.

Can't tell what the car in the black and white photo has, but it looks like the hood has popped open and is only held closed by the safety catch....

I like the way they made the "cow-catcher" on the blue car... almost looks like a copy of a Jag E-type grill opening in it's shape in a way....maybe there's some English ties to that team?

Originally posted by Doehring

I also can't believe that the factory drivers used a blue car. I always thought it was a private entry, maybe a french.

Rolf

I can not say much about this statement but already back in the ‘72 Acropolis rally Mehta and Easter drove a 240Z without ANY Datsun sign????

See picture.

This was One year before the Bandama rally, so why not a blue one???

post-1340-14150792953097_thumb.jpg

Guus,

Surely you don't believe that the blue car was a Works or even ex-Works car?

If it was, then I'd eat my shoes.

As I mentioned before, some drivers got the use of Works and ex-Works cars for certain events which they entered either personally or in the name of their sponsors. Mehta's drive in the Acropolis was a case where he used a Works-built car but under a non-Works entry. The SEARS tyre sponsorship was clearly part of this deal ( as it was when he used the tyres on the RAC Rally ).

I would not believe that the blue car was a Works-built rally car because it just does not seem to have any of the little identifying details that so many of the Works-built cars had. Even when Works-built cars passed on to different ownership they tended to keep many of these little visual clues, quite apart from the known history of each chassis. Nissan's Works rally cars were ALWAYS painted red as a base colour, even though some of them later changed colour or had other colour patterns / sponsorship added on top. The blue car just 'feels' to me like it was painted in a Factory colour. That's why I think it started its life as a standard road car.

I'm with Rolf on this one. Guus, do you concur?

Alan T.

No I was only kidding; I brought my own laughs with me as you could see.:classic:

I tried to get some overwhelming response but unfortunately, it is only us three.:cry:

The next time I meet Mehta I will ask him. Maybe one time I climb my pen and write the man??:bunny:

We have to find more documentation otherwise, we stick in the Bandama mud.

Just like today; I am helping Nissan Netherlands with there exposition of the 350Z. They came up with three or four books full of newspaper articles from that time. I already mailed the girl after this is all done I like to have a second look. You never can tell!!

:D