IGNORED

capacitor

tanny

I recently converted my 73 to a 1980 ZX electronic distributor. Has been working well. I assume since there are no points that these electronic distributors have no need for a capacitor. Is that correct, because I didn't notice a capacitor when I took it off the ZX? Thanks, Victor.

I was researching this to answer a previous post. If your running the Nissan EI distributor, you have the opertunity to run a full 12 volt coil. Running the existing 6 volt unit with the balast resistor will not harm anything, but why bother? You no longer have points to protect from burning. Running the stock coil without the balast will burn it up quick. If you get the fat coil from the ZX, 210, 310, HL510, 200SX be sure to get the bracket as well. IT's too fat to fit the original. You can go to a speed shop and ask for a 12 coil, I bought a pretty Mallory one for my Roadster. Your old coil will ave a double tang connector on it. Take that off and use it to connect the wires that once hooked to the ballast resistor.

The ZX dizzy could be setup with a better advance curve for the the carbed L-24 ~ L-28. The fella That set mine up for both my Z and Roadster has an info page.

http://www.311s.org/tech/engine/eidizzy.html

http://www.311s.org/tech/ignition/eidizzynew.html

I endorse his work completely. Buy his package and you get it all, ready to install, with complete instructions and parts lists.

Enjoy that big fat spark! you can even get away with opening your plug gap a little. Not only will you have better cold start but YOU WILL feel the difference throughout the power band.

Thanks Victor. I'll check out that website. I did put the zx coil on and bypassed the resistor. I was just wondering if there was a capacitor associated with the ZX ignition for any reason. I also was wondering: what function does the capacitor serve that is bolted to the voltage regulator and connects into the wire harness on the passenger side wheel well? Thanks, Victor.

• 5 years later...