Tuning 4 Screw SU - Initial Throttle Screw Setting - Page 2 - Carburetor Central - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Tuning 4 Screw SU - Initial Throttle Screw Setting

Featured Replies

  • Author
14 minutes ago, Yarb said:

Are those headers from Sean?

Actually I went with the full system from resurrected, headers to tips. It was extremely easy for someone like me, no need to weld anything custom, fit all the factory hangers, came with everything. I had purchased them during last black Friday sale at a deep discount.

https://resurrectedclassics.com/collections/engine/products/stainless-steel-dual-exhaust-system-s30z-240z-260z-280z-datsun-1970-1978-polished

20260419_120005.jpg

20260526_212201.jpg

20260526_212148.jpg

  • Author

Here's an update and maybe some help needed. I got myself a timing light with digital readout and advance setting. First thing I did was confirm where I was at idle with engine warmed up and it was way too advanced from what i can tell, maybe 30 degrees with mechanical advance removed and the vacuum port plugged. So i dialed it back down to get around 17 at 800 and it felt pretty smooth . I felt pretty good in that i could do this myself and a small win in that the dash tach matched the digital readout lol. So i proceeded to pull the 2 sparkplug and use the colortune method of checking mixture. As I suspected, the plug was black when i pulled it and this was only after running it about an hr earlier in the week in the garage after cleaning all the plugs. I inserted the colortune and it was yellow orange confirming the rich mixture. Heres where things got interesting. I started dialing the jet up to lean it out and the flame was losing its yellow flavor returning to a duller orange but it never got bunson blue from what i could tell even with the jet all the way seated at the top. And this happened to both 2 and 4 cylinders. the rear carb seemed to get closer in color but never quite there yet.

Heres a video of #2 after fully seated jet

and heres a video of #4 also fully seated

The engine seems pretty stable and smooth and the exhaust now seems cleaner and throatier but i think there may be some more tweaking to do to get this just right. If someone can weigh in on these questions to help me with next steps that would be appreciated:

  1. Am i interpreting the color right? do these still look slightly rich?

  2. It seems odd to me that the jets are fully seated and the color is still slightly on the rich side assuming i am interpreting that correctly. I have SM needles in there BTW, could they be seated too high and need to be lowered to lean it out? Also there is no spillage from the float bowl and i believe levels should be correct based on seating the floats.

  3. Does the #2 cylinder video indicate a misfire? It doesnt seem as consistent as the #4. Coincidentally, if i do the piston pin lift test when i lift the front piston the idle will bump and lower to about where it was which i think is what we want. If i do the same to the rear carb the engine starts hesitating but never fully stalls. Does that confirm something up with the front carb matching the potential misfire in #2? I do have equal airflow at idle when checking with flow meter.

Thanks for any advice on next steps, I'm really trying to learn how to do all of this and i think i have the basics and am making progress. You all are the reason why.

Edited by Richie G
Clean up

did you disconnect the choke cables! I learned that the hard way with my color tune the cables need to be disconnected.

1 minute ago, kully 560 said:

did you disconnect the choke cables! I learned that the hard way with my color tune the cables need to be disconnected. try it you should see the blue color when adjusting the mixture.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author
7 hours ago, kully 560 said:
  7 hours ago, kully 560 said:

did you disconnect the choke cables! I learned that the hard way with my color tune the cables need to be disconnected. try it you should see the blue color when adjusting the mixture.

I did not but they are not acting on the jet it's fully seated all the way to top even before I started leaning it out by raising the mixture screw. I'll try that though this weekend.

Edited by Richie G
Update

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.