1972 240z - Radio Problems - Radio seems to work but no volume. - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

1972 240z - Radio Problems - Radio seems to work but no volume.

Featured Replies

My radio works but no volume. I am assuming the speaker is okay as I can hear the radio. I am in the process of trying to remove the radio to take to a repair shop. I have a Supplemental Service Manual that advises that once the radio front trim piece is removed, the radio/tuner unit should come out through the opening. Is this the case or is it necessary to remove the larger "front" of the dash that holds the Fan Switch and Vent Levers. I am trying to remove the radio out through the opening but it's a very tight fit. Forcing it risks breaking the 50 year old plastic dash piece. The radio is the original Hatachi Radio and has never been removed ( I am the original owner). Can anyone direct me to any previous threads about this, or can anyone offer any advise on how to remove this radio. Thanks...Tim

Edit - I should say though that I have a vague memory of pulling that face plate forward without removing the control cables, in order to get a radio behind it. So it might be one of those partial disassembly things.

Here are 1972 Body Electrical chapter instructions. If you use the standard "reverse procedure" it seems that they want you to attach the radio to the finisher/face plate first then install the radio and finisher together. So, removal would be with the finisher/face plate attached.

Basically they're saying it has to come out from the front.

image.png

You can download a copy of the FSM here - https://www.classiczcars.com/files/

Edited by Zed Head

Other than the faceplate that you've already removed, I think there's also screws in the side that connect to a bracket that must be removed. It's been years since I removed mine. I think those screws are accessible from behind the lower dash. It seems like there's 3 connections on the rear, antenna, power and speaker that need to be unplugged. Can't remember if the antenna up/down switch is a separate connection that must be dealt with. Since I went aftermarket I relocated the antenna up/down switch into the blank spot in the console where the hand throttle would be but I don't think that's there in the 72 year cars.

Edited by w3wilkes

I don't recall bring able to remove the radio without removing the heater control panel. On one of my cars there was a metal panel on the front of the radio behind that panel. No way it could come out without removing the panel

I have a '74 that I reinstalled a '74 radio in and I recall a bracket as shown in the FSM for this car. I don't see this on you image but I don't see how the radio could be properly supported without it. I usually remove the center console but I'm usually doing more than just pulling the radio. I'm not sure you can pull the radio without unbolting it from the bracket, at least on the 74's.

image.png

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

Thanks to all of you for responding.

Zed Head - I have the Diagram BE-37 in the FSM. I also have some removal instructions (with photos and diagrams) in the "SERVICE MANUAL - S30 Supplement Chassis Manual- Datsun 240-Z Sports". These instructions on Page 21 seem to infer that once you remove the "radio tuner escutcheon", the radio unit should come out through the opening. IT DOES NOT. Perhaps this doesn't apply to my particular vehicle. I am now trying to release the larger finisher face plate (with the heater controls) enough to remove the radio, without disconnecting the heater vent cables as you suggested...we'll see.

Patcon - I have the metal plate/spacer around the front of the radio that you referred to. If the plate wasn't there, or could be removed, the radio probably would come out through the opening.

Thanks again...Tim

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.