AT speedometer cable seal - Open Chit Chat - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

AT speedometer cable seal

Featured Replies

Where in the world can I buy or does anyone have a fix for a speedo cable leaking where it screws into the transmission on a 72 automatic transmission

Thank you

  • Author

I am sorry. I need the seal for that Speedo cable attaches to the Automatic transmission

This has the same part number. #51 in the microfiche.

Datsun Z Transmission Case & Fit...
No image preview

Datsun Z Transmission Case & Fitting (Automatic-3N71B) (F...

  • Author

The seal I need is like the seal on the right

3632492498388017728.jpeg

510569533473330960.jpeg

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

From the thread, "That little Top Hat in the pictures only comes with a new Speedo cable.

However all is not lost. It is just a secondary seal. You can go to home depot and get a flat rubber washer that will do the same thing.  They come in various sizes and have approx a 1/8" dia inner hole." @Chickenman

The speedometer cables are the same. If you don’t know or haven’t heard, Go to “CarPartsManual.com”.

Chances are it’s leaking on the speedometer housing itself. It’s been a minute but if it’s like the manual transmission there’s an O’ring and a seal like @siteunseen mentioned.

  • Author

Here are a few pics that are puzzling. The connection of the speedometer cable looks dry. The cable has a drip on it and the floor show fluid.

IMG_3639.jpeg

IMG_3641.jpeg

IMG_3637.jpeg

I really don't know about auto transmissions but seems like my auto Camaro I had to check hot and in gear with the E-brake on if I'm not mistaken. Have you recently put fluid in? Could just be slight over fill? Good luck with it no matter what.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.