IGNORED

burned contact on the Turn signal switch of my 72 240z or dirty bulb socket

Yesterday while turning the left signal while driving a friend of mine told me the rear left hand bulb was not lighting. The this is that it does flash in the board and if you swith the emergency switch it also flashes. This leads me to believe the turn signal switch is failing maybe a burned contact. Theres is a video in youtube where someone pulls the T/S switch from the steering column and  opens the contacts . I really dont wanna mess anything and look for a faster solution to avoid removing the switch. Ive eliminated all possibilities an think this is the only solution remaining. How should i approach this repair? 

On 4/21/2024 at 10:29 AM, jalexquijano said:

Yesterday while turning the left signal while driving a friend of mine told me the rear left hand bulb was not lighting. The this is that it does flash in the board and if you swith the emergency switch it also flashes. This leads me to believe the turn signal switch is failing maybe a burned contact. Theres is a video in youtube where someone pulls the T/S switch from the steering column and  opens the contacts . I really dont wanna mess anything and look for a faster solution to avoid removing the switch. Ive eliminated all possibilities an think this is the only solution remaining. How should i approach this repair? 

I found a pic on the web. Should i consider prying the tabs to get inside the contact or should i perform any external tests before getting into this?

Blinker_Detail_1.jpg

Sorry Marc.  Im trying to sort out any electrical issue before getting into the engine even though it has nothing to do with the engine issue at cylinder 4. Where should i start troubleshooting before removing the turn signal switch?

On 4/23/2024 at 8:13 AM, Mark Maras said:

I'd test it before prying those tabs back and opening it up. I broke a tab on mine.

How exactly do you test it? with a test light? If so should i have the ignition on and the left signal activated? I really prefer testing it properly before opening anything inside the T/S switch. Anyone??

Blinker_Overview_1.jpg

Blinker_Detail_1.jpg

I've used a insulation piercing volt meter many times without removing the part I was testing voltage on. It has a needle like end you push through the outer insulation to the copper wire for testing. I can't say how many times I've pricked my fingers to accidentally test MY voltage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2024 at 8:13 AM, Mark Maras said:

I'd test it before prying those tabs back and opening it up. I broke a tab on mine.

Ok but how would you test the left rear blinker contact works once i remove the T/S switch from the steering column?

Find a ground. Either a wire or the switch body. The black ohm meter probe goes to the ground, The red probe goes to the left rear blinker soldered connection as shown in post #5, and then operate the switch. Repeat the test with the red probe to the left rear blinker spade connector in the plug.

47 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

Find a ground. Either a wire or the switch body. The black ohm meter probe goes to the ground, The red probe goes to the left rear blinker soldered connection as shown in post #5, and then operate the switch. Repeat the test with the red probe to the left rear blinker spade connector in the plug.

Well with the test light should be the same process. It should light up if the blinker is working?