IGNORED

Public Service Announcement

Posted (edited)

A member at Zcar.com was a little miffed about receiving his purchase from Harmon Resto. This is what he ordered: https://harmonresto.com/products/usb-charger-cig-delete-kit-w-volt-meter. After a brief search on Amazon, it wasn't hard to find a source for the USB ports: https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Outlet-Voltmeter-Waterproof-Charger/dp/B098KD2G8F. Harmon doesn't even bother to leave the inline fuse on it, but they make up for it by marking up the price significantly.

So if you really want these, reach out to me. Drop ship the Amazon one to me. (Suggestion: Get this one and you'll have 3 ports. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1WJ3W5X) I'll replace the ring lugs with bullets for you and charge you shipping. 

I love it when business support the hobby, but I don't like it when they mark up products 300% in the process.

Edited by SteveJ
  • Like 2

Don’t be so quick to bash the vendor. 

What did that guy think he was buying for $50? A hand made, custom designed one of kind bespoke wonder device with gold trim? Maybe he’s never looked at the near infinite supply of 100’s varieties of a 1000 such automotive products on Amazon and thought this was a nice custom piece for his Z and decided, on his own, to spend his money as he saw fit. Only after he realized what he bought, how cheap they are to buy himself, and how little value was actually added by Harmon, did he get indignant about it. Typical.

Let the market decide if a product price is too high. 

Just buy the USB charger thingy that fits into your existing cig lighter hole and avoid the buy it or build it hassle completely. 

IMG_3517.jpeg

• Like 1

Actually the poster on Zcar.com wasn't indignant IMHO. He was more perturbed about the slow shipping.

OTOH, when I look at Harmon Resto's website I see several things that he is marking up big with no value added. He's putting together cheap parts he is sourcing from Amazon, Temu, or Aliexpress and marking them up significantly.

I only see four products on their page.  The video is titled LED Turn Signal Kit but it looks like it's about the backlit Z emblem on the quarter panel.  I guess they tap into the turn signal circuit with their wiring harness branch and convert the emblem to a turn signal.   $150 does seem steep for two bulbs, two sockets, some wire, some sheathing, and four plugs.  But they did do the leg work to find the parts.  They broke the plastic in the video, and you have to drill a hole.  Seems like a lot to get a light in the emblem.

Are you saying that you will modify the Amazon part for free and then reship it?  Total cost would be the Amazon price plus Amazon shipping cost plus your shipping costs.  I tried to figure out what Harmon charges for shipping but you have to put in too much info.

https://harmonresto.com/

I don't expect a lot of people wanting to take me up (except @Yarb, who just likes to drop ship things to me), but yes, I would put on two bullets for the price of shipping the part back to someone. As for the cost of shipping to me, if you use Amazon Prime, the part could be drop shipped to me, so someone would only need to pay about $20 for the same thing that Harmon wants $50+shipping.

• Haha 2