IGNORED

75 280Z Clock Repair?

HusseinHolland

4 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Oh, and just to be ridiculous... Here's how I measure capacitance.

Put the cap in parallel with a known inductance, hit it with an impulse function, and then simply measure the harmonic response:

Little bit of algebra, and you got it!  :ph34r: 

You're making my head hurt. I have enough trouble doing the math to determine resistance in parallel  😁

• Haha 4

On 9/13/2023 at 4:49 PM, zclocks said:

I bought one of the capacitance meters on Amazon for $22 . I  compared it with my old B&K 820 and it's very accurate. For $22 I thought it was junk , but wanted to see how good it was. Don't think I would check large power caps with it, but a vary nice unit. I check all caps before use for the simple reason I have been burnt several times. Installed what I thought was a new good cap only to find that the part was WAY out of spec.  

I ordered one of the Cap-only test meters off Amazon, the multimeter I ordered was DOA. So, back to this once that arrives

1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

What meter did you purchase? You might help someone avoid the same problem.

I didn't bother mentioning as I opted for a repackaged OTC 3940 multimeter that was discounted pricing. Typically (in my experience) Amazon listings sold this way are just open box, not actually used items. In this case it was completely dead. 

On 9/15/2023 at 8:37 PM, Captain Obvious said:

Getting back to clocks and such.... @HusseinHolland, did you try reducing the 2M resistance to see if your clock would start without a push?

Sorry - missed this - waiting for the meter so I can try to deal with caps at the same time if needed.

5 minutes ago, HusseinHolland said:

I didn't bother mentioning as I opted for a repackaged OTC 3940 multimeter that was discounted pricing. Typically (in my experience) Amazon listings sold this way are just open box, not actually used items. In this case it was completely dead. 

Still, that's good to know about the risk of "discounted pricing" at Amazon. Thanks.