IGNORED

Separating the Throw Out Bearing from the Collar

SteveJ

As I'm a complete novice to most of the transmission topics, this was a neat learning opportunity for me. I needed to separate the TO bearing and collar for installation of the new transmission. After consulting with a couple of friends, I decided to try the Maddox Ball Joint Service Kit I bought from HF. I found it had the right size collar for the TO bearing, and then I found a 27mm socket would drive out the collar.

Here's the assembly ready for pressing.

image.jpeg

It worked for the most part, but the bottom plate kept the assembly from driving the collar all of the way out.

image.jpeg

I could try using my vice to finish the job, or I could get medieval.

image.jpeg

It worked.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

As I'm a complete novice to most of the transmission topics, this was a neat learning opportunity for me. I needed to separate the TO bearing and collar for installation of the new transmission. After consulting with a couple of friends, I decided to try the Maddox Ball Joint Service Kit I bought from HF. I found it had the right size collar for the TO bearing, and then I found a 27mm socket would drive out the collar.

Here's the assembly ready for pressing.

image.jpeg

It worked for the most part, but the bottom plate kept the assembly from driving the collar all of the way out.

image.jpeg

I could try using my vice to finish the job, or I could get medieval.

image.jpeg

It worked.

image.jpeg

A tip: Use a block of wood (I prefer a hardwood like oak) to support the part rather than placing it on the concrete. It will protect the concrete from chipping, and, more importantly, protect the part from damage by the concrete.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I put a new one on my 280 using the old one to drive it down on the collar. It has a noise.

I had one pressed on the 240's collar. Crickets...

I didn't take any photos of pressing it in, but the Maddox kit had the right adapter for me to set it up and tap it a couple of times with a mallet to drive the collar into the TO bearing. It was nice having someone with experience come over and supervise.

• Like 1

He also lifted the new transmission (a 720 box, not a 280Z box) into place, and we worked well together to get it bolted in.

image.jpeg

We verified the clutch engages and will disengage. Next Saturday, I'll put all of the parts back in...and fill the transmission.

• Like 3

I forgot to mention that I didn't look over the new transmission too carefully when I picked it up. I realized today that it's a 720 box. Since I already have that one in the 240Z, it is fine by me.

When I moved the old transmission around, it sounded like a pachinko machine with the bearings bouncing around. I might check the oil to see if any made it out the drain hole.

Friday I reinstalled the driveshaft and installed the tail end of the exhaust. I left the front end of the exhaust loose because the transmission mount insulator was mostly dead, and a new one was due to arrive today. I installed a new speedometer cable on the pinion and filled the transmission with oil.

Today I installed the starter and installed the insulator. The car is touching the ground again, and I got the interior back together.

Tomorrow I'll finish the installation of the speedometer cable and hook up the battery.

There are also a lot of tools waiting to be put back in their homes.

• Like 4